Rimless tank adhesive

Sisterlimonpot

Premium Member
I don't frequent this forum because I can't view pictures that most people post here while at work.... and what good is a DIY thread without pics?
Anyway, what type of adhesive do you use when putting together a rimless tank?

what kind of material are you using????for acrylic try weldon 3 or 4 or if you can get ahold of some weldon 40or 42......for glass use ge 100percent silicone....what ever you decide make sure its thick material.....

rimless or not they are all built the same.........except for twice as thick material for rimless.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14832609#post14832609 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by widmer
What better adhesive do you propose for glass lol?
I really don't know... that's why I’m asking :D It seemed right but, when I was told to replace the seals in an old tank.. Not to take it completely apart. He told me that there was a special adhesive that held glass together.

rimless or not they are all built the same.........except for twice as thick material for rimless.....
So the rims on a normal tank only keep the glass from bowing not to hold the glass together. I guess I had bad information from the get go.
Thanks

I would use one of the industrial grade silicones...Here is a picture of what I used.

J/K :D

It was Dow 999a silicone ADHESIVE. A lot stronger than regular silicone.

yes a euro brace not only keeps the tank from bowing it does help in the overall strength of the tank.........

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14834760#post14834760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
So then the thicker glass on a rimless has 2 functions, it aids in little to no bowing and more surface adhesion area?
exactly..........see you were just mislead in the beg. like you said you got some bad info...........

Your Are going to want a structual Adhessive Like Dow* 999 Or ASI #502 Silicone from American Sealants Inc. Try Aquamedics for a supplier. You will also want to make sure to use acetone on any part that will be siliconed and not touch the glass after it acetoned or the adhesive WILL NOT adhere, due to the oil from your skin preventing adhesion.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14834224#post14834224 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
eznet2u,
Thanks I looked up the MSDS and it looks like it's reef safe.

It is reef safe. It has held together my rimless/braceless 44g sump and my overflows for over a year and a half.
Corals are doing great.

Man, I have to say that the DIY forum is more helpful and I like the idea that no one broke out into a debate over particular brands. A lot of good advice. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Yeah, this whole forum is pretty good overall. Some of the other forums that I have been on won't even let you get 5 posts in before there is a critical debate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14838463#post14838463 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scaryperson27
Yeah, this whole forum is pretty good overall. Some of the other forums that I have been on won't even let you get 5 posts in before there is a critical debate.

I think you need to go over your facts a little better...It is obvious to any intelligent reader on these forums that debates only start after the 16th post.
If you are not going to get your facts straight, please keep them to yourself...

;) :lol2::D

Here is the place I bought mine...TechnologyLK
It is a little bit expensive, but well worth it for that "Peace of mind".
Comes in a few colors also. I used Black for that look of elegance. :D

Back