Rimless Tank Advice Needed

culver22

Good Day, Everyone!

I've thrown together some plans for a 48wx12dx14h rimless tank and I'd like to know if anyone truly experienced and knowledgable. with DIY rimless builds would check the dimensions for me before I get the panels cut. I apologize in advance but again, only looking for advice from those with either experience or credentials in physics or mechanical engineering :)

I realize some would object to the shallow depth of this tank but the aesthetics I seek and the space I'm working with will not accommodate something much deeper. I'm going for long and narrow, which will certainly allow for some interesting shallow-reef aquascaping. I'm choosing to work with either 10mm or 13mm low-iron 1/2" glass. Please let me know which would be best, as far as structural reliability goes.

I also have plans available for a 10mm glass build that I can post upon request.

I believe I've accounted for the width of the glass (using 1/2 low-iron glass) as well as a 1/16 gap for all seams to accommodate the RTV 103 or GE silicone. Is the 1/16 gap large enough?

The configuration will be the four panels will be fixed AROUND the bottom glass panel of the tank and will NOT be adhered to the top of the base glass panel.

For those who would like to know more, I'll be utilizing an external overflow and a 20 gallon sump (using baffle kit), since this tank will hold far less than 40 gallons of water. I'll be building my own stand.

I've attached some images of the plans. Please feel free to request additional clarification. Thanks, everyone!

Attachments

• Culver_GlassBox_48x12x14_13mm_Page_1.png
    Culver_GlassBox_48x12x14_13mm_Page_1.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Culver_GlassBox_48x12x14_13mm_Page_2.png
    Culver_GlassBox_48x12x14_13mm_Page_2.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 0
When I built my tank I didnt add deduct an extra 1/16 for caulking. I just took my lengths minus the thickness of glass I was using for the sides.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So if your going 24 front to back and glass is half inch I would make the sides 23 inch

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, why not buy a 33/40 gallon long and just derim it? With such a shallow tank I can't say I'd be very concerned personally but you could always just slap on two little braces on either end so its eurobraced, would likely cost a fraction of all custom cut glass. I've derimmed a few 20longs and never had one leak on me to date and they're similar size, 30"x12"x12". Its to my knowledge that the pressure on our aquariums increases much more when increasing the overall height then it does by increasing the length or width, within reason. That all said I'm actually considering making my own Starphyre 36x24x12 out of 8mm but am torn on whether I should squeeze a little more height into it since I'll be spending all this money anyways I'd hate to wish I'd made it 14" down the road. Trying to keep the volume as low as possible though. I was just planning on all 4 panels sitting on the bottom pane, with the shorter ends between the two larger wall panes. SCS1200 Clear being the planned silicone. I've account for 1/16" gap between my inner most panes but thats the only place it should alter my measurements if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps I'm being a bit brazen and foolish but I was planning on going the ultra simple method of just taping it all off and slap it together in 5 minutes. I think if we were both considering going above 15" in height your injection method might be more valid though I suppose a higher safety factor is never a bad thing!

Back