rinsing entire gfo then storage?

johnfallon135

anyone does this? i don't want to keep rinsing my gfo everytime i use it. i know i can just rinse it as i do water changes through my reactor but i do water changes much less frequently. can i just rinse the entire bottle of gfo then store it?

anyone does this? i don't want to keep rinsing my gfo everytime i use it. i know i can just rinse it as i do water changes through my reactor but i do water changes much less frequently. can i just rinse the entire bottle of gfo then store it?

Typically I add it to the reactor and let the output run into a large cup or small bucket until it runs clear then replace the saltwater taken out.

I wouldn't see an issue with rinsing it all then storing it in a sealed container wet. no worries about the clumps drying and creating more dust that way. I've never done it, but may start now that you've mentioned it.

You probably can rinse the whole container of GFO and then store it. If you use reasonably clean water and handle it carefully, that might be good enough. The question will be how much abrasion you get from handling. I might try rinsing a bit and letting it sit to see whether it binds up, but I don't think that it should.

Help me out, why would want to do something like that? I add it to the reactor and let the output run into a large cup or small bucket until it runs clears.. I use the BRS High Capacity and barley gets any type of bownish colors when rising..

TANK INFO:
120 Mixed Reef
Ecotech M1 pump
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 Maxspect Gyre XF130's Pumps
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Refuge Spotlight
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off

I think it would help but you would always have some dust unless you rinse in the reactor. As bertoni stated, you would get some abrasion from transferring. That is where the dust comes from in the first place.

Back