rinsing sand

rams

ramtheory
got any suggestions, experience, how too, what not to do, what to use? I would greatly appreciate some advise. I have always bought new in the past. I have about 50#s of the old stuff I would like to re-use. this isn't sugar grain sand either... rather special grade 2 I believe.

thanks
rams

I just put mine in a buycket and turned the hose on and made my kid rinse it for about a hour or so.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15616338#post15616338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rbnice1
I just put mine in a buycket and turned the hose on and made my kid rinse it for about a hour or so.

that sounds like the easiest way to clean it....lol

Sand is cheap, I would not risk a tank of issues like problem algae due to crappy sand. Just buy some new sand;)

it was new sand to begin with and I don't want to end up with a couple buckets of sand to give away... I think I will put it in my 50 gallon rubbermade stock tank and let it dry out, then sift all the dirt and detritus to the bottom. then rinse with buckets of RO/DI. I was curious if anyone had another method.

I have always stuck a hose in the bucket and let it run for an hour or two until it runs clear, then I dry it out. I have never had a single problem with any of my tanks. Be sure to move the hose around in the bucket every 10-15 minutes or so. I also have about 4 buckets of clean dry aragonite if you want to swap for the used. It will cost you a breakfast burrito from MCDS, but it will save you time. good luck

thanks for the offer, I will stick with what I got. need to keep the kids busy anyway with projects. I need to pick up some breakfest burritos and check out your system sometime soon though.

I use a garden hose and keep stirring to get all the detritus into suspension to wash out. And then I keep stirring... And stir some more... it takes forever. Let the sand dry out thoroughly afterward.

I put some in a large but shallow pan and set it outside. After it got rained on a few times I baked it in the oven. I only needed a small amount of sand but it did end up clean. If you need lots of sand I highly suggest the rinsing methods described above followed by baking it outside during hot dry days :)

I had a boatload to wash and we just filled a big trash can with RO and poured the sand in slowly and swished it around as it poured in. Most of the nasties stayed in the water and we just changed it a few times. You just don't want the sediment to settle before you dump it. We let it dry out on a plastic sheet and it was dust free when we added it to the tank.

Faz

. It will cost you a breakfast burrito from MCDS, but it will save you time. good luck [/B][/QUOTE]

your missing out, gotta get sonics big breakfast burrito they are big and awesome. For lunch whoppers 2 for $4:D

Last edited:
Back