risky business

reefinmike

drilling...

i have a 29 gallon and too much time on my hands for my own good. i recently bought the diamond bit cuting set for a dremel because who knows when you need it and i got to thinking about my tank. i know people have done it before but how risky is it. i would like to cut a lot of slots in the tank. im just afraid of the tank cracking one day while gone... or will it crack within a day if its going to crack??? the inner contents of my tank are way too good for the system theyre in so im planning on upgrading the tank, stand and refug.

thanks for any input in advance.

mike

I drilled mine with a dremel and no problem. I haven't tried slots before so I really don't know about that but I have seen it done before.

Keep the slots nice and rounded, no sharp edges. Try and avoid any sharp edges, this is where a crack will develop. I hope you have alot of time on your hands. Usually, with anything repetitive
one does, the first few turn out perfect, then the next few turn out so-so, and the last ones turn out horrible. Why? You lose interest and patience and rush to get the job done. Take your time, it can be done.

Instead of cutting slots just cut out an area in the tank and use either egg crate or gutter screening.

Back