RLSS R6-i vs AVAST Pegleg 180 vs Deltec

mitchrapp

My RLSS R6-i skimmer is acting up and I may be looking to replace it soon. I'm trying to decide between the AVAST Pegleg 180 and the Deltec SC1351. I have a 75 g DT and ~20 g sump with a medium to heavy bioload. My r6i has been okay - never really get a lot of skimmate, maybe half the collection cup per week but when I do, it is quite dark. Which would you recommend between the AVAST and Deltec? Which would be more quiet?

I can't speak for the Deltec, but I have the Pegleg 180 and it's a nice skimmer. Honestly my glue work on the DIY portion kinda sucked, so it's not as pretty as the Deltic is. But it pulls some serious skimmate. I can't directly compare it to the other skimmers I've owned since they were on different tanks, but on this particular tank it works great, and I like it from a performance perspective than any skimmer I've owned. Also it's very easy to adjust with the numbered wheel. It's not overly sensitive, so I haven't experienced any overflows. It's just been very consistent and easy to tweak.

I can't speak for the Deltec, but I have the Pegleg 180 and it's a nice skimmer. Honestly my glue work on the DIY portion kinda sucked, so it's not as pretty as the Deltic is. But it pulls some serious skimmate. I can't directly compare it to the other skimmers I've owned since they were on different tanks, but on this particular tank it works great, and I like it from a performance perspective than any skimmer I've owned. Also it's very easy to adjust with the numbered wheel. It's not overly sensitive, so I haven't experienced any overflows. It's just been very consistent and easy to tweak.

I've had a similar experience. Been running the Pegleg 180 for a couple weeks now and I'm happy with it. With the Avast you can afford to buy the skimmer and swabbie for the same price as just a skimmer from another manufacturer. I'm running the 180 on a 150g reef keeping it clean so on your 75g it's going to do an amazing job.

Unless you're the type of person that is religious about cleaning their skimmer cup every single day then going with the swabbie has value. In my experience, once the skimmer neck is the slightest bit dirty, skimmate production drops dramatically.

I get consistent skimmate production day after day running the avast skimmer and swabbie. Plus the pump comes with a decent warranty and replacements are not insanely expensive.

The swabbie was the best upgrade i did to my RLSS. Best thing I have done for the tank in a long time and also reduced the amount of maintenance.

Back