RO/DI Filter cost

Drewdog

Hello all,

I currently get my RO water from my lfs. Every week I get 20 gal. for $10. I recently bought my own home and was considering an RO/DI filter. My question is, besides the cost of the filter itself, what are other costs that go along with making my own water? Will it raise my water bill substantially?, Is it worth it to make the investment, seeing as I only go through 20 gal a week? It is also a possibility I could split the cost with a friend who uses about the same amount of water a week as me. Thanks.

Thats 500 bucks a year you give to your LFS, not including gas and your time and labor.

You can get an excellent RO/DI system for less than $175. Figure on filter block and resin changes twice a year, so another ~$75 a year. The membrane itself can lasts years, and can be replaced for $35. You will save hundreds the 1st year, and even more in subsequent years.

As for the water cost, it won't be much at all. That 1000 gallons a year will be about 5000 gallons of water used because of the water to wastewater rejection of RODI. My water rate is ~$2.25 per HCF(hundred cubic feet, approx 750 gallons), so it would cost me about $15/year in water. Double that to figure in sewer charges that I have as well. Do you know what your water rate is?

Yes it is worth it if you're using that much water. Buckeye Field Supply has some nice low-budget RO/DI units for like $130. It's also very helpful to have your own unit if you need to do an unexpected water change and the LFS is closed :)

So it definitley seems to be worth my while to make my own water, especially if I can split the cost. I'm not sure what my water rate is yet since I haven't received my first water bill yet. Is there any brands of filters I should look for or stay away from?

Thats 500 bucks a year you give to your LFS, not including gas and your time and labor.

You can get an excellent RO/DI system for less than $175. Figure on filter block and resin changes twice a year, so another ~$75 a year. The membrane itself can lasts years, and can be replaced for $35. You will save hundreds the 1st year, and even more in subsequent years.

As for the water cost, it won't be much at all. That 1000 gallons a year will be about 5000 gallons of water used because of the water to wastewater rejection of RODI. My water rate is ~$2.25 per HCF(hundred cubic feet, approx 750 gallons), so it would cost me about $15/year in water. Double that to figure in sewer charges that I have as well. Do you know what your water rate is?

I'm not sure what my water rate is yet. I'm waiting on my first water bill.

On a tangent - for what it's worth owning your own house opens up a whole new range of options in your reefkeeping. You'll easily spend the savings on water tricking out your house to accommodate your setup!!

Back