RO/DI making high pitched hum

Sophie-G

My RO/DI is making a high pitched hum at start up...

I have a auto shut off hooked up with a check valve with a line going to my sump (auto top off)

The unit is connected to my main water line (3/4") with a saddle valve (needle valve)

Only about 2 weeks old...

The hum is getting really anyoning because it happens every 10 mins...

Why is it dong this...?

i have never heard this before, the only thing i can suggest is a air bubble somewhere in the filter membrains, or very high water pressure and the unit is vibrating, the second suggestion is very unlikely, sorry scrub that thought, could be air though, just a thought

THe unit has a pressure gauge that is reading 50 psi when it turns on and is running...

It sounds like this is when the water is moving through the unit at startup

thats good pressure, i think most units recommend a minimum 40 psi for it to work properly, could just be air though

you have posted this on new to the hobby as well, one of the reef team members azdesertrat recons over the many years he has had problems with noise as well, he suggests shaking the unit a little bit to release any trapped air, i think he knows what he is talking about, it may be worth you speaking to him on new to the hobby forum

Sorry about my brief msg before, had to leave the computer..

Mine does this, it's the auto shutoff that sits between the water supply and controls the source. (the valve that has 4 pipes going into it). Sometimes it will be a high pitch wine, other times a low vibration that rattles through the whole wall. I've never tried to solve, just got used to it. Maybe it is air?

For reference my system is a water general / filter direct unit.

Back