RO DI tubing

goochesfish

I am considering running John guest 1/4" tubing inside my walls. Is this a bad idea? I'm told they can leak? Has anyone done this. I currently run mine behind kitchen cabinets and if it were to leak, I'd see it and easily replace it.

I don't think it's the tubing leaking as much as it is the quick disconnect fittings. Sometimes the tube will get loose in one and it will leak around the seal.You should be ok if you use barbed fittings inside the walls.

I use a lot of long lines and john guests and have for years and years. I've never had a leak with them. Well once, from a kitten. :) US Plastics sells plastic compression fittings for the tubing that would be safer inside a wall.

I plan on running a continuos line in the wall. The only fittings would be at the RO DI unit and at the ATO reservoir.

are the walls open?

If so why risk it just run copper or depending on the state maybe pvc...

pvc would not be code in my state, and any feed lines would be copper so I would just run copper and call it a day....

Crazy Tom

I think it will be fine unless you get mice chewing on them or something.
If it were me I'd run a larger tube with the 1/4" inside of it. Then it will be shielded, and if you ever had to replace it, it would be easy to fish a new line in as you pull the old one out.

are the walls open?

If so why risk it just run copper or depending on the state maybe pvc...

pvc would not be code in my state, and any feed lines would be copper so I would just run copper and call it a day....

Crazy Tom

The walls will be opened. Won't copper leach into the RO DI water and defeat the purpose? I want to run from the filter to my ato reservoir.

Filterguys.com where I got my filter suggested pex pipe reduced to at each end to accoodate the 1/4" john guest tubing.

If it were me I'd run a larger tube with the 1/4" inside of it. Then it will be shielded, and if you ever had to replace it, it would be easy to fish a new line in as you pull the old one out.

Never yet had a leaky fitting but I have had mice chew through the hose. A major pita to replace and the second time around I did shield it to prevent further problems.

Keep the run continuous without fittings and you'll be good to go...that stuff is pretty tough and very reliable.

Why would copper leach from the pipe? Every house in america that wasnt built in the last few years has copper piping for water in it. Further more, even if there is PEX all throughout your brand new house, you still have a copper, or even possibly lead depending where you live, service pipe.

Why would copper leach from the pipe? Every house in america that wasnt built in the last few years has copper piping for water in it. Further more, even if there is PEX all throughout your brand new house, you still have a copper, or even possibly lead depending where you live, service pipe.

Not after the RODI. Before the RODI is ok because it will be filtered out. Running copper after the RODI is just asking for trouble.

I ran tubing up into the attic and down a wall for years with no problems, but like others have said it was a continuous line with no speed fittings out of sight....and I had 3 cats. :)

gets my vote

Back