RO Filter Shopping Help

petebsbll

Hello all,

I'm going to be honest, I really don't know where to start with the RO search, as it appears they are all essentially the same. Please let me know if there is a specific model you recommend. I'm currently looking at 2 models and would appreciate any feedback.

Ideally, the filter will install under our kitchen sink. My wife wants one for drinking water. Our aquarium is in the basement, so would it still be realistic to fill 2-5 gallon buckets in a reasonable amount of time to take down for routine water changes? I rarely have to top off my system, as the top is sealed pretty well.

Models are below
APEC Top Tier 5-Stage Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System

APEC Top Tier Alkaline Mineral pH+ 75 GPD 6-Stage Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System

The pH+ for model #2 caught my eye because my pH is generally on the lower end. I've read balance is key and not to get too caught up in pH though. I'm sure there are plenty of opinions out there on this. My corals seem to be doing fine with the lower pH.

Appreciate any feedback here. New to the RO practice and want to make sure I make a smart purchase.

Vinny's recommendation is spot on as far as vendors go. First though you really should know a few things about your water. You need to get a water quality report from you water department. They should have the latest available online. Of course this is assuming you are not on a well. If you are, then this can create other issues. You are specifically trying to find out if they use chloramines. It is also good to know the tds of the water from your tap. Knowing your water pressure is also a good idea. Armed with these you can pick out the best RO unit for your circumstances.

Note, if you are going to be using it for drinking water also, you will need a kit that allows you to switch between making drinking water and water for your reef. The water for your reef should go through a DI filter but it isn't recommended to drink that water because the DI filter material is not food grade.

As for time needed to fill a 5 gallon container, it will depend on the temp of the source water. For me in Texas, in the summer it takes around 60 minutes but it increases to around 80 minutes in the winter.

Bulk Reef Supply, Buckeye Hydro & Spectrapure are 3 vendors here on RC thatcan & will set you up correctly.

Vinny's recommendation is spot on as far as vendors go. First though you really should know a few things about your water. You need to get a water quality report from you water department. They should have the latest available online. Of course this is assuming you are not on a well. If you are, then this can create other issues. You are specifically trying to find out if they use chloramines. It is also good to know the tds of the water from your tap. Knowing your water pressure is also a good idea. Armed with these you can pick out the best RO unit for your circumstances.

Note, if you are going to be using it for drinking water also, you will need a kit that allows you to switch between making drinking water and water for your reef. The water for your reef should go through a DI filter but it isn't recommended to drink that water because the DI filter material is not food grade.

As for time needed to fill a 5 gallon container, it will depend on the temp of the source water. For me in Texas, in the summer it takes around 60 minutes but it increases to around 80 minutes in the winter.

^^^What both of these wise gentleman have said!^^^

My go-to is www.buckeyehydro.com When I first got mine, I did some research to figure out what I needed but was still a bit confused. I sent an email to BH about 8AM on a saturday morning expecting an answer sometime next week. About 10AM, Russ (the owner) called me and spent the next 45 minutes with my questions and helping me design exactly what I needed. He saved me a couple hundred dollars becasue I assumed I needed a bunch of stuff that it turned out I didn't. My custom built RO/DI arrived that Monday and has worked flawlessly ever since.

And FWIW - IMHO, I would have the system set up in the basement and plumbed up to your sink/refrigerator rather than try to fill a couple buckets in the kitchen. You will forget the water is running and the wife will not be pleased with the ensuing flood. It is not a question of if, but when, the flood will occur.

Back