RO question

ucdcrew

I'm showing 0 TDS out of my membrane (I have good tap water). Does the DI remove other impurities that don't measure as TDS or am I running through DI for no reason? TDS out of my faucet is between 10 and 15 if it matters. My current RO/DI system (6 stage) is a bit overkill for the water here - I bought it when I lived in Arizona. The TDS out of the tap there was reading over 500.

dkeller_nc

That's an incredibly low TDS measurement for tap water, and suggests that if it's an accurate reading, your municipal source is some incredibly pure surface water (i.e., largely rainwater).

But in answer to your question, the DI resin will remove dissolved ionic compounds that are at considerably lower levels than 1 ppm. One of the notable ones that could have a negative effect on your tank at levels much less than you could measure with a TDS meter would be copper, which is a common contaminant in tap water.

ucdcrew

Yup - I live up near the headwaters of one of the larger drainages that supplies water to a lot of cities in the Bay Area and central valley. Best water I've ever had out of a tap (I'll drink it too!), and it tastes better than bottled water too. Copper was what I was worried about so I'll continue to run the DI. I love where I live...
goldlake3.jpg

Last edited: