Rock 'kissing' clown??

fish killer

Hi everyone - still new... Pretty sure I'll still be saying that ten years from now when it comes to reef care! I ended up with a owner relinquished fish that I adopted - a GORGEOUS, HUGE ?girl? who seems to be at least 5". I mean, if she were a brim, she'd be almost filet size. So, she seemed lonely. So, I went and found the smallest tomato clown I could find and threw in with her. So, now they dig out the sand to the glass bottom every day, all day long. They only take breaks to roll up to their dorsals in the anemone... Of course, I sit and watch them do this all day long - it's way better than tv. I've caught her now regularly 'kissing' the live rock and seems to be using it to anchor herself while she swims as fast as she can to do her digging. I mean! For Christs' sake!! She's using a tool!!! She's actually bracing up against the live rock to dig faster and deeper!!! *Is this normal, 'cause, I gotta tell ya... it seems pretty darn intelligent! And, yep, I figure this is spawning clean out by their anemone. But, I've not read of this particular technique as of yet.

Hi everyone - still new... Pretty sure I'll still be saying that ten years from now when it comes to reef care! I ended up with a owner relinquished fish that I adopted - a GORGEOUS, HUGE ?girl? who seems to be at least 5". I mean, if she were a brim, she'd be almost filet size. So, she seemed lonely. So, I went and found the smallest tomato clown I could find and threw in with her. So, now they dig out the sand to the glass bottom every day, all day long. They only take breaks to roll up to their dorsals in the anemone... Of course, I sit and watch them do this all day long - it's way better than tv. I've caught her now regularly 'kissing' the live rock and seems to be using it to anchor herself while she swims as fast as she can to do her digging. I mean! For Christs' sake!! She's using a tool!!! She's actually bracing up against the live rock to dig faster and deeper!!! *Is this normal, 'cause, I gotta tell ya... it seems pretty darn intelligent! And, yep, I figure this is spawning clean out by their anemone. But, I've not read of this particular technique as of yet.

o.o

That's very odd, and very cool.

Never heard of it. Very, very cool. XD

My percs have done things similar to what you're describing. I've watched both the male and female wedge themselves against rocks, then grab hold of a smaller rock, then push off, effectively shoving the smaller rock off the bigger rock. It's definitely a sight to see. My kids love watching it.

Back