RODI - where should I put it?

Qdaddy

Long time lurker, been reading a lot on here. Time for me to ask for help. I bought a used 150 gal tank about 8 months ago. Been using tap water with prime except for the initial setup by local LFS water. I've been fighting algae and cyano since and am ready to buy RODI filter.
My problem is where to put it. I topoff 5 gal every other day. Here is my options:

1) Laundry room - upstairs, display downstairs

2) Kitchen sink - could I put it underneath, kind of cramped though

3) Garage - Only water in garage is piped straight to water heater

4)Bathroom - only downstairs bathroom is 1/2 bath only about 3 foot wide with pedestal sink

5) Outside faucet - only one by garage freezes in winter

I work at Lowe's , so have access to plumbing supplies, however not the most handiest man around. Any suggestions would be great.

if you wanted to or have a good place to do it,.... drill a hole through floor behind washer and run ro/di water to the basment. or you can hook it up next to hot water heater in unfinished part of basement.

Only problem is laundry is upstairs, display tank is downstairs. No basement however. Laundry room is in the middle of the upstairs. Would have to carry 5 gal buckets downstairs, 2 flights.

Are you renting?
It's not too hard to get water between floors if you can drill a small hole. Water falls naturally. But if you don't like that alternative, the kitchen or bathroom sink is about your only choice. The unit itself can be secured to the back or side wall of the undersink space: you'll need to watch the TDS (meter) and remove it once to twice a year for filter replacement, (usually 1-2 of the cylinders will go: others long-lived). Another alternative is a 'strap wrench' which can assist you getting a cylinder undone.
When you are actively running water (cold line only) you simply run a line out to a bucket sitting on the kitchen floor: MUST be lower than the ro/di: ro/di has no 'push' at all. Put a kitchen timer on it, without fail. Otherwise it's a lot of mopping. And NEVER leave the house even for a moment, with the thing running: you don't know what could delay your return, and you'd be mopping for sure.

I own this home Sk8tr. The laundry room is in the back half of the upstairs, which would put in the middle of downstairs. The kitchen sink is looking like my only option. Lots of bending and crawling I guess, turning off and on. Roughly how long would 5 Gals take to fill up?

232323232%7Ffp53654%3Enu%3D335%3B%3E%3B%3B%3B%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D323%3A39%3C48869%3Cnu0mrj

Iput mine in the laundry room.
I plan to run a 30 ft' 1/4 poly line down to the fishroom sometime in the near future.One reason the ro/di is upstairs is because it's also used for drinking water.Right now I fill up 5 gallon container by placing them in the utility sink in the laundry room.This help minimize floods incase I forget I'm filling a bottle for a while.lol
Just bear in mind,really the only crawling around will be done hooking the plumbing up.Most ro/di units are attached to the rear of the sink cabinet by 2 screws.Just make sure you don't drive them home as they have (keyhole)type mounting bracket.This way the whole ro/di can be removed as a unit.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14184728#post14184728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stingythingy45
Iput mine in the laundry room.
I plan to run a 30 ft' 1/4 poly line down to the fishroom sometime in the near future.One reason the ro/di is upstairs is because it's also used for drinking water.Right now I fill up 5 gallon container by placing them in the utility sink in the laundry room.This help minimize floods incase I forget I'm filling a bottle for a while.lol
Just bear in mind,really the only crawling around will be done hooking the plumbing up.Most ro/di units are attached to the rear of the sink cabinet by 2 screws.Just make sure you don't drive them home as they have (keyhole)type mounting bracket.This way the whole ro/di can be removed as a unit.

It should only take about 2 hours to fill up a bucket right. If that is true I could just put the bucket outside of cabinet and fill up as needed, like Sk8r suggested.
if I understand you right, I can just take out the whole thing out to change filters? That was my main concern.

I just purchased one not too long ago, and my suggestion would be somewhere in the house near a drain (crutial) and somewhere you have the room for a LG rubbermaid storage or garbage can. I find it is better to have the water on hand rather than on demand. You dont want your params to go out of whack (for example) and have to wait 10-12 hrs for a decent water change.

I am now filling a new set up up, and am getting 5 gal every 2 hrs out of a BFS 100GPD unit. As for the filter changes (which are rare), the cannister units unscrew from the housing. If you have 3" or so below the unit you'd be ok for filter changes.

Hope that was worth something!

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/ProductPhotos/Product_160.jpg

Thanks strick nine, you were a help. Trying to get as many ideas as possible. Do you have your unit higher than the bins or does the water pressure push the "clean water " out enough? I'm wondering if I'll have enough room to get a fill up bin lower than unit.

I find the pressure is enough to move up hill the little bit I have tried. (and am wondering if it will push all the way to my tank a floor and a few feet above-Ill try to pipe it in when Im a little more ambitious) I have the output hose cut to fit a 5 gal water jug a few feet away from the unit, so when I fill the garb bin it loops around a bit before getting to the bin, and there is the same output as with a downhill run to the 5gal.

I have mine plumbed into my hot water heater in the garage, just make sure you plumb into the cold water!

Does your garage get down to freezing in the winter ? if not install a utility sink in the garage and tap into the cold water line by the sink. I may take some work but a sink in the garage will save you time, hassle and domestic problems.

That's funny you two should mention that because I was talking to the plumbing guys at work about tapping into the water heater feed line. I like the sink idea in the garage the only thing is finding a plumbing line behind the wall. I'll have to do some more investigating and see what I come up with. Will take some pictures of the garage area so maybe some plumbing experts can chime in.

I have mine mounted in the garage and connected to a garden hose. Mind you I live in Florida and don't worry about freezing temperatures. You could, however, connect it as such and just remove it when you are done and bring it inside so it doesn't freeze. This way you could also have a brute can filled and at the ready should the need arise.

So here are a couple of pictures of the water heater and where I want to put the ro, maybe even a utility sink. I would need to find a plumbing pipe to connect a drain for the sink. The last picture is a hookup for an air conditioning unit I haven't installed yet. I was hoping to hook the Ro waste line to the pvc if I can't get the sink in there. Any ideas or suggestions?

232323232%7Ffp53649%3Enu%3D335%3B%3E%3B%3B%3B%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D323%3A3%3A39%3C%3B3%3B%3Cnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53656%3Enu%3D335%3B%3E%3B%3B%3B%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D323%3A3%3A39%3C%3B423nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53655%3Enu%3D335%3B%3E%3B%3B%3B%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D323%3A3%3A39%3C%3B%3B54nu0mrj

Too early, sorry for the last;

For water supply, you have it at the HW tank incoming. If you arent a handyman, get a "sharkbite" tee, no soldering involved, just push it on to the pipe.

As for the drain, it looks like you have one there. The high temp release is plumbed to a drain location which looks to have a box over it. The waste water line from a RODI is a 1/4" hose you can just stub into the grille of the drain.

PICS are always the best explanation!

Back