Roger's reef food vs homemade recipes?

godzen

I'm relatively new to the hobby and have been using NLS pellets thera A+ twice a day with nothing else. Fishes seemed happy with them but coral growths seemed stagnant. I did a bit of research on fish nutrition today and it appears frozen foods are better and more nutritious. I plan on continuing with the pellet in addition to frozen.

It seems the the best frozen mix is Roger's reef formula. Putting cost aside, what is/are the benefits of homemade such as melevesreef formula vs just using roger's on the clip?

P.s. also, what is the most used recipes used in this hobby for both fish/corals? Or does everyone have their own?

Making your own ensures you know what is in it and you can control the amount of filler products that may be in it.

I made my own once with my reef club. It's best to do it as a group as everyone can split the cost, plus you typiccaly end up with a lot more than you know what to do with.

We used a whole fish and put it in a blender guts and most of the bones, I believed we did scale it first.
We blended it with some shrimp with the head and tail removed and clam meat and some nori and garlic cloves
After we got a nice and disgusting puree, we mixed in some cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, and smelt roe.
We froze them in some repurposed frozen fish food trays, or any smal icecube tray we could find.

well, it seems aside from economical reason, the other valid point of making own food is to control the amount of filler products. Given that Rogers doesn't have fillers nor preservatives in his food (and he seems to be respected), it just doesn't make sense to get down and dirty. Anyone with experience switching from home-made to commercial frozen food wants to chime in?

Making your own ensures you know what is in it and you can control the amount of filler products that may be in it.

I made my own once with my reef club. It's best to do it as a group as everyone can split the cost, plus you typiccaly end up with a lot more than you know what to do with.

We used a whole fish and put it in a blender guts and most of the bones, I believed we did scale it first.
We blended it with some shrimp with the head and tail removed and clam meat and some nori and garlic cloves
After we got a nice and disgusting puree, we mixed in some cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, and smelt roe.
We froze them in some repurposed frozen fish food trays, or any smal icecube tray we could find.

i live at the shore so i catch all my foods except for oyster fest i buy that.so i quess i make my own i will never buy prepared foods i have seen how they are pckaged and caught and dont approve of most of the methods so it takes a little time but i rake up clams,scallops ,oysters,live shrimp with eggs,lobster and crab eggs,mummichod eggs and fry,speering/silversides, peanut bunker,ribbon worms,and sometimes mackeral fry.i feed diff fresh foods daily and get amazing results.i sell live gravid grass shrimp 10 cents a piece,100 for 8$.i ship them out to flowerhorn owners and salt water reefers in the midwest were they cant get live food.you take five egg bareing femals in a ten gallon tank and let them lay there eggs and have thousands in 2 months.the females are about 2 inches you can feed groupers to lionfish and corals also picky corals with the eggs.manderins love the shrimp fry you can quickly put the weight back on a manderin and keep a ten gallon and constanly bree them like guppies.if any one is near me in jersey i will show you how to get all of these fresh free foods from the ocean and make youre own foods.

Back