rose anemone, not exactly "rose"

bgcook

i recently ordered a small rose bubble tip anemone from reef hot spot. the anemone is about 4-5 inches across. the color is not exactly what i would call "rose." it seems to be more of a tan/brown color with pink tips. i have only had the anemone for two days, should i expect this to become more "rose" as it gets more comfortable and grows?

thanks

Lighting has a lot to do with it as well...my RBTA looked very red under Phoenix 14K but more brownish/orange under the Giesemann Coral bulbs, which claim to be 13.5K but look like 10K bulbs to me.

Your sig says 14K though, so if they're more like the Phoenix I had, I would think it would look red. That said, there's a lot of variation in color with these animals.

jds

a rose anenome is still just a BTA (Entacmaea quadricolor). Lighting has a lot to do with colors. Most cnidarians in my experience change their color in the aquarium as they adjust to the lighting. What you get is never what you end up with. Give it a while, see what happens.

well last night the anemone has regressed into the rock work and can no longer be seen.

i can only assume this is not a good sign.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14061548#post14061548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bgcook
well last night the anemone has regressed into the rock work and can no longer be seen.

i can only assume this is not a good sign.

It may be a good sign if he has found a spot that he likes. He may have lost some color due to shipping. Just give it some time, and it will hopefully begin to color up.

These guys are notorious for hiding in the rocks when first added. I've had them disappear for up to two weeks before emerging in exactly the spot I wanted them to occupy. I wouldn't worry yet.

Do you have a peppermint shrimp? I had one almost pester my BTA to death (at the time it was not hosting a clown to defend it) and it didn't open until I got rid of the PS.

i placed this anemone in a drsfostersmith ecocube with the coralife aqualight mh of 150 watt and 14k. i hope that the anemone does color up and does well. my ideal for this tank is the have a single rose anemone hopefully in the center. i already have a pair of black false percs that will hopefully take the anemone. i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Give the anemone time before you try to rescue it. It's stressful for you, but moving it might be even more stressful on the animal.

My last BTA hid for a few days before poking out to get some light. Another I had disappeared for a week before showing up on the other side of the tank on a rock right in front of the powerhead.

he may color up under the different lighting. if you realy want him in the center of the tank, the best bet is to get a plastic anemone..lol. good luck

Back