Royal Gramma HELP !!!

NcsuAE

I just picked up a royal gramma from a lfs. The fish has been acclimated but it appears to be the spawn of satan. I have had a small damsel that keeps to himself and never bothers another fish in the tank. This gramma instantly swam into the damsels small area and will NOT leave. Any idea how to break these two up before one dies? The tank is 90G so it should be plenty of room.

Can and move the rock work around and hope they move to new areas?

Please help!!1

If it is still happening tomorrow, i would rearrange the rockwork. If possible make a few caves with some distance inbetween each.

Ok, kinda moved a little rock and coral around but it didnt seem to do a whole lot. Tomorrow I might just have to rescape the entire tank. I think the gamma would normally be peaceful if he didnt happen to stay right in the damsels cave.

Grammas are bluff artists; if it isn't actually making physical contact, then ignore it and a hierarchy will form and all will be right in your tank once again.

Ed

Ok, I really just wasnt expecting to see him act the way he is acting. It looks like an eel with its mouth wide open. Of course the damsel isn't backing down so they keeping jabbing back and forth. If they can work it out I would prefer to keep both of them.

The open mouth known as gaping is most common; it is trying to say, "Hey look how big and bad I am"!
However when that doesn't work, they usually run for a bolt hole to hide in; it should subside in a day or so...

I would probably point the finger at the Damsel first... I've added fish to either tank my Damsel was in, and as soon as the fish added settled in to his new spot, the damsel came over and harassed it until the new fish went over to the Damsels home, every time the Damsel lost his spot,, either that or I got a really stupid Damsel,

What other kind of fish do you have in the tank? Just curious.

The Gramma and Damsel should be ok together with time as long as you get the Gramma to eat...... I'd watch if you add other 'peacefull' fish in the future though....I finally set up a new tank just for my Damsel and other semi-aggressive fish because I didn't want to deal with this everytime I add a new fish...

It's funny you should post this.... I had the same thing happen with a YT damsel that was already established in the tank. My royal seems to have it out for him but no other fish in the tank. He never makes physical contact but will gape his mouth open at him and chase him off if he comes anywhere near. They've been living in the same tank now for about 4 months and she still hates him. As long as the damsel stays out of her territory, she's fine. Any other fish can swim through but not the damsel.... it's so funny watching how fish act towards other fish.... reminds me of high school!

Think natural behavior here people; damsels are the number one predator of fish eggs and fry.
If you notice delinquents or "criminals" lurking about your property, you'd make attempts to keep them away also.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8602641#post8602641 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EdKruzel
Grammas are bluff artists; if it isn't actually making physical contact, then ignore it and a hierarchy will form and all will be right in your tank once again.

Ed

Yup. Mine tried to bully my lil ocelaris until he realized that the gramma had no follow thru. Now they eat together, flip baseball cards, watch girls--no problem! Is the R.G. just rushing him with an open mouth?

Back