Royal Gramma Scared?

ltkenbo

I got a Royal Gramma about a week ago. I know they like to hide in the rocks a lot, but one reason I picked this one is in the store he didn't run away when you went up to the glass. I've had him for over a week now, and he hides ocasionally and when he sleeps but during the day he would hang out on the right bottom side of the tank in front and wouldn't run when I came to look at him.

Yesterday I did a 20 gallon water change (75 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump). I siphoned just using some tubing that I put in the tank and filled with water to get the siphoned started and did 5 gallon buckets at a time. As I siphoned water off I would turn the pump back on try to empty the sump so the water level in the tank wasn't so low. Then I siphoned the rest off, and added little by little the new water to the sump turning the pump on to add the water to the main tank.

After this my Royal Gramma got kind of freaked out, he went and hid and when I fed the the fish frozen mysis later (there are only two clowns) he came out like he normally does to eat but didn't eat any of the food that was right in front of him (usually he eats it really fast, a lot faster than the clowns). Today he was hiding more, and will pop out ocasionally but then go back to hide, he doesn't leave the rocks too far. I went to feed them mysis again this evening, and he didn't come out. I could see where he was but he wouldn't come out. I tried feeding again a little later but he still wouldn't come out.

I checked for ammonia (0 ppm) and alkalinity is fine too. Did I just freak or stress him out from messing around with the tank? Should I try feeding him something different? He looks to be opening and closing his mouth more than he usually does, but I don't see any visual signs of sickness like ich. Any tips would be appreciated, I just got him and would hate to loose him so quickly. The clowns are acting normal.

I had a Royal Gramma disappear for 3 months before it decided to show it's face. Grammas are one of my favorite fish. They are sequential hermaphrodites like clowns except the male is the terminal phase. In your tank you can certainly keep a trio without a problem.

I'm not saying your fish has a problem as doing the maintenance you performed is a reasonable explanation for your fish actions but any time you have a fish that was demonstrating "normal" behavior then becomes scittish you need to evaluate if it's a disease or parasite issue.

Yeah it's just strange he acted normal then after I was draining the water starting hiding. He was coming out yesterday but didn't eat, today after the lights come on he hasn't come out at all. I know they are good at hiding so I don't see him, hopefully he'll come back out at some point.

Back