RR tank setup help

synofreak

OK folks. I currently run a 120g and a 55g, both self contained barring HOB skimmers and refuges. I'm selling out on FW stuff, and more then likely getting a 125g RR tank(maybe bigger?). I will be using the 55g as a sump/refuge for the 125g, does this sound possible? I also have 40g breeder and 75g available for sump/fuge. I only want to run 1 tank under the DT. I would like this to contain the skimmer/DSB/ Cheato/ and LR if needed(heaters also). I need some input on designing my sump/fuge and plumbing it all together. No ATO's needed as I can do manually for now. Any links or help appreciated, as I've been FW for years, and reef for a while, but its just like FW to me in maintenence and start up. BTW, my SW tanks thrive, being self contained, but just want to try it the "other way".I will also be looking for help in return pump selection after the DT is purchased(skimmer and lighting I prolly have covered). Thanks for a bit of help.

Thanks for the link, it helped a bit. Well I got a 125g AGA tank with standard dual overflows. 1 drain and 1 return in each overflow. Durso standpipes would be best correct? 1 would be straight down and the other 45 degree connecting with the other? Into sump start, baffled into skimmer chamber, baffled into refugium chamber, baffled to return chamber. One return pump would go straight out sump up to return hole in one overflow, 45 degreed into other return. Best to use no 90 degree if possible, correct? Am I on the right track?

sounds like you got it. the less turns the better. if you get it set up and one of your durso is noisy you can make one lower and use the other as a vent. to get rid of the noise.

Looks like drains are 1.75" and returns are 1.5" holes. Do these need rubber "ring gaskets", or do the bulkheads I need to get contain rubber gaskets for both sides of the glass? What size bulkheads do I need for each hole? Pool supply or Plumbers supply my best bet? I'm assuming all other plumbing can be purchased at hardwares stores, correct? Sorry new to the overflow thing, so gonna be asking alot of Q's for a bit. Also going with a 40g breeder for a sump/fuge. Recommended in sump skimmer for this size setup(165g)? Also recommended return pump? Bottom of fuge to top of tank will be 51", but the second return line could be up to 7 feet long. Same with drains, 1 straight down, other up to 7 feet. Besides gate or ball valves where needed, do you guys use unions at all. Thanks for any help. BTW planning on mostly PVC, unless flex is recommended in certain places.

Back