RTN fragging question

karlmarx

I just had a coral RTN after putting expoxy on its base. I dont know why but Im pretty sure it was the epoxy cause it looked fine up until the day i epoxied it to a rock cause it had fallen. i noticed some slight tissue necrosis at the base and decided to wait the night and check it in the afternoon. Well the TN has spread but there where plenty of branches that had not been affected by this so I fragged them.

Now for the question do I want to keep the base in the aquarium to give a chance some parts come back or should I euthanize? While it would be nice that it could come back im leaning toward euthanize because I know from exerience it is very unlikley any of it will survive that is near bleaching tissue

I am pretty new to the SPS world, so you should take anything I say here with a grain of salt (read as "salt lick"). If you have the space, give it a chance to come back. I have had some corals RTN, only to have them make an excellent comeback after a few weeks/months. Cant hurt to try :)

I have read that epoxy should never be used to attach frags. Just use a dab of Super Glue Gel. I plan on using epoxy to attach frags that are already mounted. The mount would be the only part touching the epoxy.

this was a medium sized colony on a rock, the problem was the rock was falling every couple of days so I wanted to afix it a little better so i stuck some epoxy on the bottoom of the rock.

Depends on the epoxy. The TLF crap burns tissue, IME. Aquamend from HD does not. Leave the frag be...if the tissue loss is due to the epoxy, then it'll stop past a certain point, and recover eventually.

SDguy, I could not find the Aquamend at HD. Looked all over the plumbing department area. Where is it hiding. Ordered the DD brand from Premium Aquatics. So even if the epoxy does'nt touch the frag, just the mounting you think it can burn tissue. I have one tube of TLF aquastik, but I am afraid to use it now. Thanks

Looked there too, I was looking for something the size of the Aquastik. I'll put my glasses on this time. Your lyretail photo is awesome, whats the anthia in your avatar. What food do you think colors them up so much. Sorry to go of topic. Thanks

Ask the paint dept mixer guys, they should know.

I feed mostly frozen. I think good quality frozen foods are key, not flake or pellets as a staple. JMO.

The best advice I have read is from Reefer Madness. They do not guarantee any frag secured with epoxy. The epoxy gets over 100 degrees and will quickly burn any frag.

Back