Running two skimmers

reefkeeperaxm

In Memoriam
So i've been running two large skimmers on my 200 gal SPS dominant tank, whatever one misses the other catches. Until recently I had someone tell me its unhealthy for my system to run two skimmers. Is that true? The reason I have two is b/c I can't decide which one to keep lol, so I just left both in the sump. Any thoughts?

I don't see a problem with it , just as long as your not overskimming. What are the ratings for each of the skimmers? Keep the one with the higher rating.

I have heard it to be benefical to run 2 skimmers of different types, 1 venturi and a needle wheel, or other type. Not sure how this improves efficiency though.

I ahve heard the same thing about two skimmers being "bad". Recently I went to a presentation done by Anthony Calfo (if you don't know who that is, Google his name :) ) and he said that two skimmers is actually beneficial. The specific example he used was referring to when you clean the skimmer, there is always going to be a small break-in period where it is not performing at its peak. The "back-up" skimmer (the one you DIDN'T just clean) picks up the slack, so to speak. The important thing is not to get two skimmers vastly overrated for your system if you are doing this as it will cause inconsistent skimmate.

I agree two skimmers are better than one. There are a variety of reasons. Backup, one wet, one dry, and being able to run while maintaining the other are just a few reasons that come to mind. I'm a little anal though, I wouldn't be able to stand having two different skimmers in my sump...maybe two twins :D Ya, i'm weird like that.

Yea they're both needle wheel and overrated for my system lol, I just always heard there's no such thing as over skimming, where would be the harm if they are vastly overrated? The rating on them is about the same, one is a bubble king, the other is a euro reef. Everyone keeps telling me to keep the bubble king and get rid of the the ER, but I really don't want to part with it, the ER is still a 30" monster.

Keep them both running. I dont believe you can over skim a tank. I've read that a skimmer only takes out 30% ~ of the doc's in a tank. Natural reefs are MUCH cleaner than our tanks.

Keep them both running. I dont believe you can over skim a tank. I've read that a skimmer only takes out 30% ~ of the doc's in a tank. Natural reefs are MUCH cleaner than our tanks.

+1 the only thing overskimming could do is effect the skimmers performance based on reaching max potential.

Skimmers are filters, everyone will tell you that you can't filter enough. 2 skimmers are just filtering more than 1.

Unless your skimmer is so big that it can't build a stable foam head causing inconsistant skimmate production.

So i've been running two large skimmers on my 200 gal SPS dominant tank, whatever one misses the other catches. Until recently I had someone tell me its unhealthy for my system to run two skimmers. Is that true? The reason I have two is b/c I can't decide which one to keep lol, so I just left both in the sump. Any thoughts?
If I had your set up I would run 1) wet ,and 2ND dry. :D

Theoretically you could skim out vital nutrients for coral growth, but it sounds pretty unlikely. I would not be worried about it unless you're noticing some real issues with the tank.

Yea they're both needle wheel and overrated for my system lol, I just always heard there's no such thing as over skimming, where would be the harm if they are vastly overrated?

There isn't really any harm in it per se, just that you are going to get inconsistent skimmate. For example a skimmer rated for 500 gallons on a 50 gallon tank (extreme, I know, but humor me! ;) ) will not skim much until that tank water is way dirtier compared to if it had a skimmer on it rated for a 100 gallon tank. In this scenario you will also see days where you get skimmate and days where you get none as the organics need to get up to the "minimum thresh hold" of what the skimmer can do.

That said, ratings aren't everything. Some companies are really conservative with their ratings while others are extremely liberal to the point where a 500 gallon rated skimmer by their standards is a 200 gallon well stocked system in the hobbyists standards.

I run two skimmers on my 210. In the sump I have a Bubble Master 250. I have a Remora Pro HOB as well. The reason I run two skimmers is in case my return pump fails (or shuts off when it gets hot, it's a Dolphin) I still have some skimming in the tank, and some circulation. For the same reason, I also have a pretty powerful submersible pump in the tank - sort of a super powerhead.

I run two skimmers on my 210. In the sump I have a Bubble Master 250. I have a Remora Pro HOB as well. The reason I run two skimmers is in case my return pump fails (or shuts off when it gets hot, it's a Dolphin) I still have some skimming in the tank, and some circulation.

Hey that is a fine idea. Too bad I can't do HOB on my next build or I would seriously consider doing that.

Back