Runningreefing Overflow Boxes -- Fish in Sump

SkullV

They Got My Number
Is anyone else having the same issue as me with their Runningreefing overflow boxes? Tom drilled both of my Nanocubes and installed his overflows which work great except I have now found my male Clown in the sump twice and my female seahorse once.

Not a complaint about Tom or his overflows, but does anyone have an idea of how I can keep these fish from getting through the egg crate covers on the overflow until they get a little larger? I didn't think the seahorse would fit through there but I guess it did!

I know the box skims better without teeth, but maybe teeth could be an option (I don't know how difficult it is to cut uniform teeth) in the future.

I have the same overflow and when I added a really small clown goby I wrapped the eggcrate in two layers of the orange netting that oranges come in so that wouldn't happen.

I thought about that or using filter floss, but I'm really worried about losing flow and the tank not draining right.

I have the same over flow never had a problem with fish stuck. Once a chromis went down the drain in to the sump.

I have the same over flow never had a problem with fish stuck. Once a chromis went down the drain in to the sump.

Yeah mine aren't getting stuck, just dumped into the sump. I don't want to run a filter sock until I can find a good way to fix it. If it can fit through the egg crate it can definitely fit through the 1" pipe to the sump.

Not sure on the design of your overflow box but maybe you could attach plastic needle craft netting to the eggcrate (available at walmart in the craft section) , the squares are much smaller than egg crate .

Not sure on the design of your overflow box but maybe you could attach plastic needle craft netting to the eggcrate (available at walmart in the craft section) , the squares are much smaller than egg crate .

Will that allow the larger particles in Rods Food and PE mysis through without clogging?

Not sure on the Rods , but I used it on my juvie seahorse tanks which I fed PE and never had an issue .

I have had this happen many times too. The smaller clown fish always ended up down in the sump all the time. Eventually the clown took the swim of death and was never found until he was passed. I also have an overflow box from Runningnreefing but don't blame the design or designer. Since then I just stay away from smaller fish that can make it through the egg crate

Best of luck

Aj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I personally prefer an overflow box with teeth...I think if you siliconed a piece of egg crate to the top where teeth would be, so it is standing up and down, you could accomplish the same thing. White probably wouldn't look that good, I would try to get some black.

Ted I think if there is away to get a piece of mesh just on top of the egg create for now that should effect the flow

If you have smaller fish, then I would add another layer of eggcrate until the fish get bigger.

This wouldn't change the size of the holes though, the fish could still get through. I think I'm going to try some of the needle point mesh and see how it effects flow. I know it will work in the seahorse tank since the flow is so slow, but I have 22x turnover just coming through the return on the reef so I'm worried about the tank overflowing.

If you staggered the egg crate it would.
I just use a screen around the crate, works fine just have to clean it once in a while.

I do, im not sure of your schedule but im not too far from the belmont blue line stop. or i might be able to meet you somewhere else off the blue or brown lines.

Back