Rust-Oleum Painter Touch paint

hazmat319

I was at HD today to pick up PVC for my tank (I'm changing back to a Herbie because the noise of the Deep Blue durso is terrible!) and also picked up some of this paint because they don't carry Krylon there. It is also for plastic. I was planning on only painting the tubing that wasn't going inside the tank and before I knew it hubby painted all of it.

I went to both Krylon Fusion and Rust-Oleum Painter Touch sites to look at their MSDS sheets. They both have most of the same ingredients. But then they each have a few other things that the other doesn't (listed below). Has anyone used the Rust-Oleum Painters Touch in their tank? I know the standard is the Krylon. It's only 2 90 degree PVC elbows that are touching the water. But they are already glued.

Rustoleum has mineral spirits and Aiphatic hydrocarbon.
Krylon has Toluene and methyl Isobutyl Ketone.

The toluene and mineral spirits are probably in the formulations to soften the PVC and allow the paint to stick. The VOC's will evaporate off leaving some sort of a polymer (laytex?) with the pigments in it.

I don't know how durable the paint will be in a corrosive salt environment. Most commercially available paints degrade quickly in a salt water environment. It may be worth taking the time to sand off the areas that will be in intimate contact with the water all the time. Incident contact is probably not a big deal.

The toluene and mineral spirits are probably in the formulations to soften the PVC and allow the paint to stick. The VOC's will evaporate off leaving some sort of a polymer (laytex?) with the pigments in it.

I don't know how durable the paint will be in a corrosive salt environment. Most commercially available paints degrade quickly in a salt water environment. It may be worth taking the time to sand off the areas that will be in intimate contact with the water all the time. Incident contact is probably not a big deal.

sounds like good advice

k. Thanks guys. I know people have been using Krylon inside their tanks for years. I did originally spray these same pieces with Krylon the first time and some of it did eventually come off after 2 years.
I guess when you think of what is in our oceans right now. How polluted they are becoming. It's sad.....off on a tangent there!
I appreciate the responses.

Back