rusty care magnet after 4 uses

neilp2006

Hi there

I bought a Tunze Care Magnet Strong from saltwaterAquarium.com on November 28th, received December 3rd. I used it 3 times between then and December 24th, removing it from the tank and cleaning it each time. On Dec 31st, i started to clean the tank, was distracted, and then had to go out of town for 2 days. Upon my return on January 3rd, I removed the magnet from the tank and immediately noticed a split in the epoxy handle, next to the blade. There was water intrusion and a large amount of rusty water came out when i handled the magnet. Pressing upon the epoxy next to the split forced out bubbles, and the epoxy layer felt soft.

Please see attached pictures-

7e0f2c3b8a774078ac72ef268eda4156.jpg

https://youtu.be/3v3K8otmVU0

Obviously, failure like this is unacceptable and I was hoping to hear from you regarding next steps for obtaining a replacement, or a return and refund.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd contact SaltwaterAquariums.com and tell them what happened. I'm sure they'll help you out things like this happens time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep- have an email in with them also, but it's not really their issue. It's a clear manufacturing defect, little unfair to expect the reseller to take a hit

Yep- have an email in with them also, but it's not really their issue. It's a clear manufacturing defect, little unfair to expect the reseller to take a hit

They definitely won't take the hit for sure , they deal with Tunze on damaged goods . Or atleast that's how authorized dealers handle manufacturer refunds . with that said I've read many epoxy magnets get damaged . Some people put an extra coat super glue or whatever reef safe for added protection

That's good to know. That aspect of it completely slipped my kind. Thanks

Disappointed to hear I might need to do extra sealing myself- I'd have thought an $80 magnet would be ready to go out of the box

Tunze magnets are better than most, but all incased magnets seam to fail eventually. I try to avoid them if possible. The ones I do use I check every few months.

Tunze magnets are better than most, but all incased magnets seam to fail eventually. I try to avoid them if possible. The ones I do use I check every few months.

This one was 32 days after I bought it, 4th use, submerged maybe 72 hours over new year.

That's WAAAAYYY too soon any way you phrase it

This is an older manufacturing issue we have resolved and now do a QC test for, if you forward me a copy of the receipt we will send a replacement. Our direct email and contact info is on the cover of the warranty manual that came with it. Tunze at sbcglobal dot net.

Update: Tunze are sending me a new wet side magnet to replace the defective one.

Great customer service- really appreciated !

Back