Sad day...

think_tink13

Mrs.Tugglife
I woke up to find Elmo, my clown, dried up behind my door. This is my second loss in a week! My cleaner shrimp, Jack, disappeared around Monday, and he was my very first tank inhabitant.

I haven't had a fish jump in over a year and I have egg crate on top of my tank! His partner in crime hasn't left the corner he jumped from all morning! It sucks losing fish this way! Since I started my nano only 1 fish has died in the tank, the other 3 have all jumped and only 1 has been caught by my cat! Do clowns usually survive once their partner has died?

Sorry for your loss. Clowns are easily repaired with a new mate. Just throw another clown in there and in time they are as happy as ever.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to pick up a new "elmo" sometime today. I don't like to see the other one alone!

Rob, I've tried not to name my fish, but I've been doing it since I was in 7th grade with my first goldfish, and that one lasted 5 years! And the majority of the time, the names come from my mom or little cousin, hence the names Elmo and Zoe!

The guy at the store really didn't want to sell me a new clown. He said my clown would probably kill the new one since its been established for over a year. Any suggestions for a new fish? I also have a goby in the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15506066#post15506066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by think_tink13
The guy at the store really didn't want to sell me a new clown. He said my clown would probably kill the new one since its been established for over a year. Any suggestions for a new fish? I also have a goby in the tank.
Not sure I agree with the LFS. You just need to really know what size you have & know what the sex of the survivor is. If the survivor is a female get a much smaller male (I'm pretty sure all clowns start off as males). If you have the male then get a much larger or smaller fish and things will sort themselves out. The larger fish will become the female and you will have a new couple (hopefully).

Back