SAD:-( NO Chiller-No fish or corals

aquaskilz

I have a 45 Gal High tank with an LED Lighting system. Long story short all my corals, ornamental shrimp and coral beauty died. I am sooo upset:mad2:.
The temp in my tank went to 90 degrees because my house temp went up.
I need advice on a a affordable quality chiller and water pump to go with it. Can you please help??

How warm is the room temp? I would look first into getting an AC unit if possible to keep down the room temp. That way you and the tank can stay cool for a similar cost as running a chiller.

My tank is usually 0-2 degrees above my room temperature and I currently use T5s.

Wow... that really sucks. Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

Cooling your house with A/C and using fans on the aquarium would have been my first suggestion but since that happened to you, I will assume it's not a very reliable option. I would suggest looking into a small 1/10 or 1/15 horsepower chiller. They're a bit pricy ($300-500) but a worthy investment nontheless. JBJ Arctica chillers are one of the best and most reliable but they are up there in cost. AquaEuroUSA has chillers that are slightly cheaper but I don't know how good they are as I've never owned one.

Thank u all for ur responses I love all u guys!! The temp went up in my house. We had a minor heat wave in NYC last week (above 90 degrees). I use a Mag 5 water pump in my 15 gal sump. I do have an A/C but i cant run it all day electric is high in NYC ( like everything else). However I do love the suggestion of getting a quality energy efficient A/C!! I will go that route first and then consider the chiller...BTW where should I order from? whats the best online site for this product??

BTW @ ganjero...not sure what the rm. Temp was but Im sure it went above 80 degrees in my apt. smh...I didnt see it coming ...I feel so bad :-(

A chiller in an apatment with no AC is a vicious circle. The chiller will dump the heat into the room and raise the room temp, thus making the chiller work harder. An AC window unit near the fish tank with a fan over the water surface would be a MUCH more efficient process for cooling.

A chiller in an apartment with no AC is a vicious circle. The chiller will dump the heat into the room and raise the room temp, thus making the chiller work harder. An AC window unit near the fish tank with a fan over the water surface would be a MUCH more efficient process for cooling.

+1. You can spend more in electricity using just a chiller all day.

If the room temperature is at XX temperature, a tank without a chiller cannot be cooler than XX

Thanks for the info guys and again P. boat Jim. I will invest in an A/C first and some cooling fans and take the glass canopy of my tank. Hopefully this will bring my temps down.

Back