Sad, sad day

ShannonT

Still around
Premium Member
This morning we found one of our pink skunks on the carpet in my classroom. Somehow he made it from the opening in the back of the tank to the rug in the front!

Could he have been bullied by the suspected female? I hadn't heard of pink skunks being overwhelmingly aggressive, but could she be?

The worst part is that many of my students thought it was absolutely hilarious that one of my fish jumped...and I teach at a Catholic school!!!

Very sorry about your fish. What grade do you teach? In younger children, they may not realized that death is final.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9296848#post9296848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shutiny
Very sorry about your fish. What grade do you teach? In younger children, they may not realized that death is final.

It says 7th grade in her profile.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9296848#post9296848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shutiny

Yep, 7th grade. Just jerks. ;)

I guess we all take our tanks a little personally, so I'm just really offended. It's one thing when they don't do their work or talk back to me, it's another thing all together to disrespect my tank and my fish!

Some actually really loved the tank and would just stare at it as long as possible. It kept a couple of my ADHDs occupied!

7th graders lack respect. but im sure you know that!! sorry about your loss. I just had a gobie jump a few days ago. he opened the feeding door on my qt tank and made it over 3 feet away from the tank (might have wiggled i guess) but the fact that it hit the door and flew out of it boggles me. he was all by himself too :(

My ADHD is what got me into the hobby. I think that is a call for detention or demerits or whatever your school uses. Teach them the value of life by taking away their social one:). Those religious/private schools always seem to have the wildest kids...I know, I went to a private school and many of my friends went to religious schools.

Sorry for the loss...I had a fish disappear and I was about an inch away from tearing up the whole tank to try and find it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9298228#post9298228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cschweitzer
My ADHD is what got me into the hobby. I think that is a call for detention or demerits or whatever your school uses. Teach them the value of life by taking away their social one:). Those religious/private schools always seem to have the wildest kids...I know, I went to a private school and many of my friends went to religious schools.

Sorry for the loss...I had a fish disappear and I was about an inch away from tearing up the whole tank to try and find it.

dont get down on the kids they are all going thru a boring proccess of learning, and at the same time they are being hurded around like sheep. School is harder for the kids that get in trouble.

i went to public and private, religious and non religious all kids are the same

i would reccomend never giving them detention or demarits the result of those punishments are all wrong. the other kids all give the trouble makers positive reinforcement for distracting the teacher and getting in trouble.

the teachers that treated me as an equal got off allot easier than the ones who got angry and pious.

that sucks! sorry 'bout the clown. sorry 'bout the 7th graders. I went to a private school till gr. 10 then finished off in public. i think 7th graders will be 7th graders no matter what.

p.s. get em to write parables after school, always worked on me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9297509#post9297509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
7th graders lack respect. but im sure you know that!! sorry about your loss. I just had a gobie jump a few days ago. he opened the feeding door on my qt tank and made it over 3 feet away from the tank (might have wiggled i guess) but the fact that it hit the door and flew out of it boggles me. he was all by himself too :(
that must to have been a 10 grade GOBIE to open that door. :lol: :eek2: :eek1: :mixed: I'm just kidding around . but i could not resist this one. I feel bad for any fish loss

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9298311#post9298311 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
dont get down on the kids they are all going thru a boring proccess of learning, and at the same time they are being hurded around like sheep. School is harder for the kids that get in trouble.

i went to public and private, religious and non religious all kids are the same

i would reccomend never giving them detention or demarits the result of those punishments are all wrong. the other kids all give the trouble makers positive reinforcement for distracting the teacher and getting in trouble.

the teachers that treated me as an equal got off allot easier than the ones who got angry and pious.

I think cschweitzer was referring to the punishing the kids who thought it was funny that we had a dead fish this morning...

And I agree that kids are the same anywhere you go -- city, suburb, public, private. This just always seems to be the time of the year that the 7th graders become a little crazy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9298604#post9298604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cschweitzer
Make them write an eulogy for the clown

Just one more assignment they wouldn't turn in! :)

The remaining clown seems to be "prowling" the tank now. She'll be really surprised when she has a new home later tonight.

What'll make good tank mates for her, especially if she is a little evil?

To get back to your original questions though... yes, even a skunk female can drive a male/juvenile to jump. It doesn't happen often but it's certainly possible.

A seventh grader laughing at a fish that jumped is pretty normal if you ask me. I remember junior high and there are no more sociopathic people than 12/13 year old boys... there's a reason we separate them from older and younger kids. Laughing certainly doesn't seem a punishable offense.

Skunks, especially males and juvis seem to be slightly more prone to jump than other clowns. The good news is that a female skunk is about the easiest ones to pair. Just don't forget QT if you decide to get a new male.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9299234#post9299234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chupacabras

A seventh grader laughing at a fish that jumped is pretty normal if you ask me. I remember junior high and there are no more sociopathic people than 12/13 year old boys... there's a reason we separate them from older and younger kids. Laughing certainly doesn't seem a punishable offense.

Yeah, I usually love them for their sociopathic behavior. I mostly love teaching this grade level. It was just upsetting b/c they knew how hard I worked and how much money I spent putting the tank together for the classroom. That and I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant, so I'm a little more emotional...

The scary part was that the main one was a girl. Most of the boys actually had a real interest in the fish and the tank, so they didn't find it funny.

My brother is putting her in his new tank, and I'll get him a new partner tomorrow. They'll be the only fish for some time, unless, of course, she drives yet another male to his death. :)

I would think more about the fish getting a scare than escaping an aggressive "mate to be".

While skunks can be absolutely horrid towards one another, I have never seen one chase another out of the tank. However I have seen many clowns, not just skunks get scare, especially at night and escape the tank.

Back