Sailfin Tang Diet

BrandonS

Mine right now eats brine shrimp and mysis; depending on what I buy from the LFS at when it's empty.

In any case; him, my clown, and my cleaner shrimp are hanging out in my QT becuase of an algae bloom I had. I wanted to remove any possible nutrients from the main tank to see if it goes away. All that's happened is crappy slimey algae has been replaced by assorted types of macro algae.

What I was wondering is, can a Sailfin live off of a vegetarian diet or does it need meat in it's diet to be healthy.

Thanks.

It doesn't need any kinds of meaty foods in its diet to survive since they are herbivores. Its better if most of its diet is algae based. I'd feed it nori and spirulina and formula 2 to keep its color and health.

yes sir! they are mainly herbivors, but will eat shrimp in a heartbeat. you might wanna put him in first without (Mysis, Brine) food so he changs his diet. it may take a day or two, or he might start immeadiatly eating the macro. :)

I was going to use him to get rid of stuff. The "annoyance" algaes went away and now I have a bunch of macros growing out the rockwork of my display. I have another thread on those, but if I could put him in by himself and not feed him I would.

Could I assume he'd be fed as long as there is algae still on the rocks?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10441656#post10441656 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrandonS
Could I assume he'd be fed as long as there is algae still on the rocks?

Unfortunately, not every tang is an algae hound and he may not even touch the stuff, especially if he's been spoiled with tasty treats. Watch him to see if he's picking at the algae. If he does, I'd say you could be pretty safe, but I'd still supplement his feedings if he isn't tearing the stuff apart.

Back