Salinity 1.022-1.025 or 1.026?

Some folks recommend a lower 'specific gravity" because they misunderstand the difference between specific gravity and density (density of 35 ppt seawater is lower than the specific gravity). Some, like salt manufacturers, can sell less salt for the same money to make up new salt water. Some think it helps fish to be in a lower SG environment, but the evidence of that is not compelling to me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8083139#post8083139 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
Some think it helps fish to be in a lower SG environment, but the evidence of that is not compelling to me.

I am one of those people who believe that. Though I have no scientific evidance, does it not just make sense if one understands how salt water fish process the oxygen they need that a little lower s.g would make it easier for them to do so ?

I realize the benefits of keeping a full blown reef tank at natural levels but I always thought us with fish only actually were doing our fish a favor by keeping our levels at say 1.022 - 1.023

I thought I remember reading a study done on this but maybe the guy was just blowing smoke :confused:

i was under that belief to billy

i think they use a phrase like

[its easier to manage the nitrogen cycle]

People claim lots of things that have little supporting evidence, and some may even be true. :lol:

But I've seen no convincing evidence that lower salinity leads to healthier fish in a reef aquarium.

Back