Salinity

Cn246368

Hi I was wondering if someone can help me. My salinity has been going up as of late and I can't figure out why my ato has been working fine and topping off in my sump. But for some reason it keeps rising and pretty fast. In the last couple days it went from 34 to 39 then I managed to bring it down change the water with ro water down to 37 but not it is going up again. It is back up to 38. I'm getting info from my neptune apex. But I also used my refractometer that shows the same.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221017_071436.jpg
    Screenshot_20221017_071436.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221016_070858.jpg
    20221016_070858.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Have you checked your ATO to make sure it's topping off the correct amount? I'd suggest removing a portion of tank or sump water and replacing it with RODI. Do it gradually over the course of a day or two so your tank can adjust.

I’m playing devils advocate here and not trying to be an a$$…you're using freshwater in your ATO and not saltwater correct?

If you use a mixing station, did the barrels get cross contaminated by leaving a valve open allowing it to mix together?

Assuming it is freshwater for the ATO, my first thought would be on a calibration issue with the salinity probe, however if your refractometer is calibrated and appears to be giving the same reading (based on your photos) I’d have to think it’s some external source. Did a bunch of saltcreep/salt spray get knocked into the tank?

So the tank is 180 with 40 gallons in sump. And no worries i know sometime that can be the mistake but my ato is freshwater. I don't have mixing station yet.( will soon, hopefully lol) and yea my refractometer is showing same and I did a calibration on it right after I test to make sure and it was fine. And check my water again and it was the same. Used the solution not fresh water to calibrate it.i was think some salt creep to but it Is raising fast and I didn't see any. I did a water change with rodi water to lower it and got it to 36.7 or something. But then it started rasing back up today. Doing 5 gallons of fresh water at a time so I try not to shock anything. And yes the refractometer reads it raising as well.

Salinity refers to the concentration of dissolved salts in a liquid, typically expressed in parts per thousand (ppt) or in some cases, as a percentage. It is commonly used to measure the salt content in seawater and other saline solutions.
In the context of oceanography and marine science, salinity is a critical parameter that influences various aspects of seawater properties and marine ecosystems. The salinity of seawater is affected by factors such as evaporation, precipitation, freshwater input from rivers, and ice melting.
The average salinity of seawater is around 35 ppt, which means that for every 1,000 grams of seawater, approximately 35 grams are dissolved salts. However, salinity can vary regionally and with depth in Life Insurance the ocean due to the influence of different factors.
Salinity plays a vital role in ocean circulation, density, and thermohaline circulation, which drive the global movement of seawater and play a significant role in regulating the Earth's climate.
Salinity is also an essential factor for marine organisms, as different species have varying levels of tolerance to salinity changes. Some marine organisms have evolved to thrive in specific salinity ranges, while others can adapt to a wide range of salinity conditions.
In freshwater systems, such as lakes and rivers, salinity is generally much lower than in seawater, often expressed in parts per million (ppm) or very low ppt values.
Overall, salinity is a crucial parameter in understanding and monitoring the health and dynamics of marine environments and has implications for weather patterns, climate change, and the distribution of marine life.

Last edited:
Back