Salt and Meat Preservation

Daivd I was teasing!

I'm sorry I even posted here, just seemed crazy that someone would even think about curing meat with the salt we use for our tanks. Let the thread die now it dosen't even belong here.

Respects always.

Like I said I was simply curious about the salt we use in our tanks. In answer to the question "If disaster struck why would you use expensive reef salt when you can buy a bag of rock salt and do the same thing and how much meat do you have on hand?" If I am preparing for disaster I would buy regular salt, however I buy my fish tank salt in huge quantity, normally over a years worth at a time. I just wanted to know if something did happen if it was capable of taking care of the preservation of meat. I definitely appreciate the knowledgeable info, and surprise I received so much attention form the thread. Thanks once again to the wonderful people and the vast knowledge that have helped me from no idea, to creating an awesome 90gal reef tank that has been up and running for 4 years. Thanks

I understood what you meant. I have 150+ gallons (over 50lbs?) or salt in my room, and maybe 2lbs of other salt throughtout the house. It was a good question, just hilarious at the same time. I'm curious about this removing the magnesium

The salt you used on the farm didn't have any Wait about an hour or two. Be sure you don't have anything to do for the rest of the day.

Oh and make sure you got plenty of TP. :)

Don't forget to not be over a half hour away from a Bog (toilet) for about 24 hours since you are going to be able to set your watch by the call-o-nature :hmm3:

It was a good question, just hilarious at the same time. I'm curious about this removing the magnesium

I thought the OP was a valid question too. I think there's just something in human nature that just makes anything poop related funny. I wonder what evolutionary advantage that conferred. :)

As for how to make salt suitable to eat from seawater, that is trivial. Check out this link I stumbled on with a simple google search.

http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/lecontej/leconte.html

It's from the 1860's and about old school methods to make salt from seawater. Notice how in every process, you let the water settle and partially evaporate, then move it and evaporate it the rest of the way off. Or evaporate and redissolve and evaporate. They didn't realize that they were settling out the mag when they did it. They only knew that the first little bit of salt tasted bad and made their bellies angry. But the brine that was left made good salt. I believe there are major commercial salt producers that use methods that haven't changed much since then.

It's not terribly hard to tell the difference between the two. Lime and Mag carbonate fall out as a scale. Then nothing happens for a long time. Then NaCl and KCl come out as nice pretty square crystals.

Back