Salt and Meat Preservation

Leaky01ch

Simply curious ... if disaster struck, could the salt we use to mix water for our tanks be used to preserve meat? Interested to hear if anyone knows.

Thanks

That would be a pretty bad idea. You could eat it, but it's going to get real messy if you catch my drift.

You could make it up into salt water and then evaporate it off slowly. The sodium and potassium chloride will be the last things to precipitate out. Once you're down to that point, throw away the rest of the stuff that already dropped out and then evaporate off the last of the water to get the NaCl and KCl.

The calcium and magnesium salts for starters. You need those two things, but not in that quantity, and certainly not in that form. Worse than green apples I tell ya.

I see. I was hoping I could stock up on my marine salt as a safety back up. Thanks you for you intuitive responses

Like I said, if you have to you can make it up and evaporate it back off. Toss the first little bit when it's still mostly liquid, and then evaporate that liquid off for keeps.

Mother nature and people have been making salt that way for a very long time. As a sea evaporates, the calcium and magnesium salts fall out first and then the remaining water leaves a nice salt flat as it evaporates.

But when stocking up for the apocalypse, it's probably better to get rock salt.

I was raised on a farm and you can cure meat with salt if you know how and I don't think elements in the reef salt would harm you, I know they wouldn't.

My question to you is.

If disaster struck why would you use expensive reef salt when you can buy a bag of rock salt and do the same thing and how much meat do you have on hand?

I have a side of beef in the freezer.

Did you know that you can bury apples and potatoes above ground. Just dig a hole about 12” deep make a big pile pyramid shaped cover them with about 24 inches of straw and then about a foot of farm dirt and they will not freeze in the winter.

I was raised on a farm and you can cure meat with salt if you know how and I don't think elements in the reef salt would harm you, I know they wouldn't.

The salt you used on the farm didn't have any magnesium sulfate in it either. If you want to try this one out for yourself, go get you some Epsom salts and eat a little bit. Wait about an hour or two. Be sure you don't have anything to do for the rest of the day.

Oh and make sure you got plenty of TP. :)

The salt you used on the farm didn't have any magnesium sulfate in it either. If you want to try this one out for yourself, go get you some Epsom salts and eat a little bit. Wait about an hour or two. Be sure you don't have anything to do for the rest of the day.

Oh and make sure you got plenty of TP. :)

and don't go for a jog unless it is in the woods.

My question to you is.

If disaster struck why would you use expensive reef salt when you can buy a bag of rock salt and do the same thing and how much meat do you have on hand?

I have a side of beef in the freezer.

Did you know that you can bury apples and potatoes above ground. Just dig a hole about 12" deep make a big pile pyramid shaped cover them with about 24 inches of straw and then about a foot of farm dirt and they will not freeze in the winter.

If you put a foot of farm dirt on top of them then arent they really buried below ground?

It won't matter, zombies like a little salt with their brains.

Anyone catch the show "preparing for the apocolypse"?

There was that female couple from the country of Arizona and the woman who use to be a man said something about they would be ready for anything: riots, thieves, zombies and that she could bring it.

Back