Salt choices?

From what I hear they keep the TMP levels low so you can buffer it to your exact parameters. Hence the "Pro" in the name. This is what I do. It can be a pain but my water change water matches my tank water exactly.

I've been seeing a lot of those type of explanations. But what reefer starts off their ALK at 5? I can understand 8, maybe even 7. But 5? Nah I'm not buying the "so you can buffer it up" explanation.

From what I hear they keep the TMP levels low so you can buffer it to your exact parameters. Hence the "Pro" in the name. This is what I do. It can be a pain but my water change water matches my tank water exactly.

Tropic Marine is having issues right now. I've used the Pro salt for 6 years and didn't have a problem. Until my recent run in with the Bio Active and then the Pro. In the past I never buffered it up. I mixed it and did the change.

D and D here. Works good for me. It has been consistent for a few years for me know. I can say I see the results. Some salts just are more expensive than others. When you don't need to add a bunch of supplements it balances out.

I just switched from TM Pro (last bucket was hard as a brick) to D&D H2O. Much better levels. Very satisfied. Mixed easily with absolutely no clumps.

Tropic Marine is having issues right now. I've used the Pro salt for 6 years and didn't have a problem. Until my recent run in with the Bio Active and then the Pro. In the past I never buffered it up. I mixed it and did the change.

Did you happen to buy the salt from MD? I got mine about a week ago and the alk was at 6. I then calibrated it again and the salifert test kit reads about 1 point higher so it's really at 5. I'm kinda ticked off about it. :blown:

TMP is on the lower side (alk I was getting 7.2-7.5) mixed at 1.025. But I believe not checking alk or calcium before adding it into a tank you are obsessed with, is not smart.

Ftw IO! seems to be a wise choice and proven and best cheap!

My abbreviation is wrong, just the standard TM. I have found good deals at $85 for the 300 gallon bags. I tried both pro and bio and noticed nothing different except lower parameters. I do still adjust the alk to match my system at 8. BRS sodium bicarbonate to raise and a little muratic pool acid to lower.

I think any of the salts will work well, checking parameters is something I never did for my first few years and sometimes my tank would look stressed right after a water change and then look its best a few days later. Now my tank does not even react to the change other than the Corals that are out of the water when I drain off the water before I add fresh. I do match temp as well as I had a friend who was having problems and decided a large water change was in order. His mixed salt was outside and changing 50 gallons in a 120 system brought his temp from 76 to 65 and he browned out his whole tank and lost some coral. I like more frequent smaller changes myself.

I did purchase a Litermeter3 water exchange setup and soon I will be doing a few gallons a day in and out and not need to carry buckets of water, talk about lazy:)

Fill that mixing station and make some water.

Did you happen to buy the salt from MD? I got mine about a week ago and the alk was at 6. I then calibrated it again and the salifert test kit reads about 1 point higher so it's really at 5. I'm kinda ticked off about it. :blown:

No I got it from Carson Tropical. If you look under the lid, there's a # imprinted. What's that number?

Point of inflection:

My tank has NEVER BEEN BETTER than the day I stopped testing my water and worrying about salt brand, additives, buffers, to hell with all that!

Mannn, fill with plenty of liverock, keep your temp & salinity within reason, a good water change once in awhile.....and enjoy your tank! :celeb1:

I personally use E.S.V. B Ionic Seawater System Salt Mix, it is by far the most expensive stuff I know of however, and you do have to pay the extra $23 or so for the mixing and measuring supplies (if you dont know its liquid) It blows all other salt out of the water.

If you dont want the B Ionic i would go Red Sea Coral Pro, you can pick it up for $50 or so a bucket and beats TM Pro now that TM has been having problems and D&D hands down IMPO.

Point of inflection:

My tank has NEVER BEEN BETTER than the day I stopped testing my water and worrying about salt brand, additives, buffers, to hell with all that!

Mannn, fill with plenty of liverock, keep your temp & salinity within reason, a good water change once in awhile.....and enjoy your tank! :

This is what I am doing currently. I have just been topping of. No additives. Just running carbon and I throw in a bag of phosphate remover that they sell for the Rena canister filter. Just enjoying my tank.

I'm currently using D&D and loving it. I used TM, TMP, TM Bio-Actif, and none were as consistant as D&D. The brown mixing residue is not a big problem at all.

Back