Salt mix

puffster

I have been experiencing higher than normal Dkh in my freshly mixed salt mixes...and a brand new one that is churning now, it is at 16.6! (after mixing over nite)What is the best way to lower it while in the bucket? Little bit of vinegar maybe should do the trick. Thoughts...

Thanks,
Ernie

A little vinegar won't do anything and a lot might actually raise alkalinity while lowering pH.

In a big tank, I'd still use it, but it could wipe out Acropora in a small tank.

Are you certain your test isn't off?

I don't know any way of lowering Alkalinity other than precipitation of Calcium Carbonate. Try leaving it in a bucket with an air stone for 24 hours and testing again.

Haven't added anything but it is still high today 15.5, still churning...I have been having Alk issues for a bit but this is way out of whack. Anyone experiencing high Alk levels in their Instant Ocean mixes? I am Using RODI TDS free water and using Hanna Checker for testing. Have also used Salifert and yielded about the same intensity level.

I've never seen that high in Instant Ocean. Reef Crystals usually mixes higher (but not that high), so I assumed that was what you used.

I really doubt your make-up water is to blame. Almost no one has well water that high, and even if you did, and you had a bad RO, and a bad TDS meter, it is high enough you could taste it.

My Salifert Alk kit is slightly high (10-20% at most). If the Hanna checker agrees, I'd assume the salt is off.

You have bad salt. You can risk your livestock and use it, or you can eat the cost and toss it.

Have you tried calling either Instant Ocean or whoever you bought it from? Different companies have different levels of service, but if it were me, I'd at least try for a sympathetic box of salt.

Back