Salt mixing scum

Fish4Me2

Does anyone else have problems with lots of scum in your salt mixing container? If so, how do you fix the problem?

Here is my set-up: I run an RODI unit into a 55G Brute. TDS is usually 0-1 at this time of year. I transfer 20 gallons into a smaller Brute with wheels. I then add Reef Crystals, and mix with a MJ1200.

By the time a week has passed, the surface of the water is covered in brownish/rust colored scum, the inside of the Brute is covered in scum, and the maxijet is so coated in scum I've had to soak it in vinegar after each mixing or the impeller stops turning. The Brute is now actually stained light brown from this residue. I use the water for water changes, and all fish and corals seem fine. Parameters test normal for Reef Crystals.

I've tried other brands of salt, same problem, although the scum becomes less rust colored and more tan. I'm on my 4th or 5th tub of salt, with no improvement. Any ideas?

Salt mixing scum

I have had the same problem before. My container usually gets a film on the water surface and I noticed my ocean runner pump in the container seems to get a slimy film on it. I was also concerned as to what the cause was and if there was any "risk", although my parameters all checked ok as well. Sorry, no answer for you, but I did want to support your post.

try more flow. I use a seio 2600 in my 30 gallon trash can. It seems there is not enough movent to break the surface. just a thought.

I actually tried that a few months ago. I put a Seio M1100 from the tank into the Brute. It turned into the worst week ever for scum, although I thought it might have been because the Seio had been covered in coralline, which all died off in the un-lit Brute.

I'm assuming it can't just be flow, since the powerhead itself gets coated in scum. Wouldn't that be the higest flow part of the system, and therefore the least likely to get scummy if flow was the issue?

you've got me stumped then ( which is easy ). I just dont see how good moving water can get a film or scum on it, it seems like it couldnt settle. If thats not the case, good luck in resolving this.

I also have the scum issue when mxing salt. I use RC and seachem reef salt mix. I haven't found anything to help stop this.

Back