Salt

OoooDRAGONoooo

Hi,I have replenished my salt supply with a new brand.i wanted to to test some of its parameters such as kh and calcium.im halfway through mixing up a batch and when I tested it at only 1.015 sg . The ph was reading 8.6 and 8.7!.i will bring the sg up gradually to 1.025 but I wonder what the ph will finally be?.i haven't done any of the other tests yet until sg is ok.the salt is "red sea coral pro". Has anyone had experiences like this ? Ty

I'm not sure what experience you re referring to. Do you mean have I ever not put enough salt in my water? Or are you talking about the pH? It is normal for the pH to be high right when you mix. And pH is related to the ratios of certain ions in the mix, not the total amount of it so I wouldn't expect the pH to be much different after you get through adjusting the salinity.

High ph

High ph

Hi,ty.my previous salt mixed up with a ph of 8.1 max.this new stuff is 8 .6. Do you foresee any problems in shocking the inhabitants with such a large difference?.what ph did your previous tank run at?

If the saltwater is aerated well, with a small powerhead, for example, the pH should drop quite a bit. That process might take 2-3 hours. 8.6 should be safe, though.

Back