Same genus--Angelfish

CrayolaViolence

I put this on one of the general topics board but got no response, so I thought I would try here. I'd really like to know what my chances are so I can plan for either way.

Thanks

Is it possible for angel fish of the same genus to live together? I am hearing conflicting information. I really had my heart set on a majestic, but I already have an emperor who is an adult. I've read that you can't have two of the same genus together, yet i've seen the same genus together with no problem (just not two emperors, or two majestic, but both were pomacanthus).
My emperor is very docile, if not a bit of a wimp really. He was in QT with a gold rim, a clown, and a damsel and hid from all three. Now he's been in his own tank for a while a very long 150 gallon (7 foot total length) and has been quite happy although still quick to hide. I got him as an adult, and he is on the very small side, about 5-6 inches. I plan on housing a few butterflies with him, but wanted one other angel fish, specifically the majestic. However I don't want to risk fighting. I will probably have my look down tank done by the time I'm ready to introduce a majestic so I could always remove it and house it with the puffer I plan on getting, but if the odds are highly against them getting along I don't want to risk stressing him. He's spoiled rotten, is hand fed, and gets whatever he wants pretty much. I planned on making sure the majestic would be very young and small to start with so there would be no question which one was boss. BUT...like I said....

Anyhow, thanks for any input.

Same genus or even same species is doable if the tank is large enough.

Usually it works best if you start with smaller individuals, one subadult and the other juvenile or changing.

I've put regal angel pairs together and know of others that put emperor and other Pomacanthus pairs together. Some people had even different Pomacanthus species pair up.

So, yes, it can work if you go about it right.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Same genus or even same species is doable if the tank is large enough.

Usually it works best if you start with smaller individuals, one subadult and the other juvenile or changing.

I've put regal angel pairs together and know of others that put emperor and other Pomacanthus pairs together. Some people had even different Pomacanthus species pair up.

So, yes, it can work if you go about it right.

Was going to PM you privately and ask you cause you always seem so knowledgeable when it comes to fish species. Thank you for taking the time to answer!!! :)

I agree, but a 150 gallon tank is not large enough (even for an adult Imperator.

Considering where these fish come from, quite honestly, any tank that will fit into the average home is "too small". By that time the difference between 300 gallons and 150 is moot. As long as the fish has room to swim, is able to remain healthy, happy, I don't think he really cares if the tank is 150 or 300.

The fish should at least be able to turn and swim a little before hitting the other end of the tank.

Back