Sam's Stair-Stepping Nanos - The Complete Ecosystem

great idea!

would be really interesting to scale it up, and make each tank a different "zone"

For instance, First tank would have mangroves, roots extending to bottom of tank, containing fish commonly found among mangrove forests, transferring into a shallow reef containing SPS, then lastly entering into a deep water tank, possibly with NPS.

hmmmm, what to do with my mega millions windfall tonight :)

Light bar looks super sweet! Can't wait to see this thing get wet! How long do you project until that happens?

This is an awesome project! I've dabbled with some plans for something like this and your thread has crystallized some ideas i've had about how to put it all together. How is the plumbing done from tank to tank down the steps? It looks like the overflows drain through the bottom then turn and go through the side of the next tank into the bubble trap? Did you use rigid tubing or flexible? or a combination? Excellent work, looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks guys!

great idea!

would be really interesting to scale it up, and make each tank a different "zone"

For instance, First tank would have mangroves, roots extending to bottom of tank, containing fish commonly found among mangrove forests, transferring into a shallow reef containing SPS, then lastly entering into a deep water tank, possibly with NPS.

hmmmm, what to do with my mega millions windfall tonight :)

That would be awesome! Definitely planning on scaling this up in the future. It will have a few "zones"going from SPS shallow reef to anemone lagoon then to soft coral and NPS. I had originally planned on adding mangroves to the top tank, but I'm limited on room as it is. I guess it's time for an upgrade! :D

Light bar looks super sweet! Can't wait to see this thing get wet! How long do you project until that happens?

Well I've predicted a few times before and it was postponed, so I'm just going to say it will probably get wet in the vicinity of the next 2 weeks if nothing goes wrong.

This is an awesome project! I've dabbled with some plans for something like this and your thread has crystallized some ideas i've had about how to put it all together. How is the plumbing done from tank to tank down the steps? It looks like the overflows drain through the bottom then turn and go through the side of the next tank into the bubble trap? Did you use rigid tubing or flexible? or a combination? Excellent work, looking forward to seeing more.

Yep, the overflow drains through the bottom of the tank and turns to go through the side of the next. I used a combination of rigid PVC and flexible tubing. The rigid for the main section and a small piece of flexible to buffer the next tank.

This is looking up from underneath the 17g.

IMG_0229.jpg

C'mon Sam!
The project I'd started (shallow cube reef) is at the "sitting in a comfortable chair while sipping Grand Marnier and staring at the corals" stage and I haven't seen an update to your in awhile!

:lol: Sorry for the lack of updates. Between work and calculus finals I haven't had much time. Plus I've been having problem after problem with my existing tanks. But now that school is over and the tank problems are temporarily fixed I can get back to this build. There really hasn't been much progress since the last post other than a whole lot of wiring in the stand and modifications of the algae scrubber. Diverting the cords into the garage turned out to be a much larger project than I had originally planned. Most had to be extended which involved a whole lot of soldering. I would post pictures but the cords are totally hidden to keep the clean look underneath the stand.

I'm not going to promise water this week, but I will definitely be working on it most of the day tomorrow. I wish I could put water in it right now, but there are so many little things that need to be done before it gets wet. I'm just hoping my patience and attention to detail pays off with this one.

Another more interesting update coming soon! :)

Back