Sand Bed Anger

sphistak

In Memoriam
I'm week 3 into my 29g setup. Running a Penguin Powerhead 1140 (Petco discontinuing the line so I got it for $20) and it causes wreck on my sand bed. I hate seeing the sand constantly floating around..

My solution was to lay a thin layer of crushed coral on top of the problem area... Kinda looks cool, but when I start purchasing other items that area will be covered up first....

picture.php

It's frustrating. I can't see very well because of the reflection, but I am familiar with that pump. You can try a few things like rearranging your rock so that the return from the powerhead gets dispersed a bit more. Also, time does a lot to take care of this problem. After a couple of months, the grains of sand get covered with algae and other biological matter, and get stickier and blow around a lot less.

Sorry for the crappy pic. That is about the best I can do with my camera phone until I purchase a real camera. It's located on the lower left front of the tank.

I figured with time it would settle but got impatient.... I tried rearranging my rock several times and that of course kicked up more sand. Lol!

get a better pump? Koralia's are a good, inexpensive option you might want to look in to. Of course, I would always recommend a Vortech first, but those are pricy.

get a better pump? Koralia's are a good, inexpensive option you might want to look in to. Of course, I would always recommend a Vortech first, but those are pricy.

I'm satisfied with the pumps performance (especially how quiet it is). It creates great water movement! I guess I could have went with 2 smaller ph's that wouldn't create as much turbulence coming from one single source? I just couldnt pass up the sale price of the Penguin!

Back