Sand Color, and My water.

Imanz0

Well, yesterday, i did a 50% water change, and in the back of my 14gallon bio cube, i replaced the bioballs with peices of live rock. Then it got really cloudy and it got a little better over night, but it still is really cloudy. Now that the water has cleared up, i can actually see it. Besides it being really cloudy, i noticed that it has all of this brown stuff over sand, i dont know if its algea or not because my tank has been set up for only 1 month so far, any suggestions on the water, and the sand?

Yeah, but iv never seen anyone eleses sand brown in 1 month, and why my tank so cloudy? IS it because i took too much water out at 1 time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12230640#post12230640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illal
sounds like diatoms... perfectly normal at this stage

+1. If you would have browsed the stuff I linked for you last night, you would have found this out.

Try this instead (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/096401470X/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1207093930&sr=8-1)

By no means is it the be-all end-all book on reefing. In fact, it's quite the opposite. You'll be able to read it cover to cover in one evening though.

If I had your tank, I would stop touching it. Seriously. Nothing good happens fast. Be patient. Buy the book.

Ok, so should i syphin out that top layer of sand in 1-2 weeks or let it be? Nitrates are at 20 now, i really want to get rid of them while they havent got all high.

Let the diatoms fade on their own. Diatoms require silicates to form their shells. Most tanks will run out of silicates in a few weeks or so. You are using RO/DI water, right? If not, you might have a continuing source of silicates.

Worry about 20 ppm nitrates in a month or two, not yet. For the time being, focus on getting everything stable.

I want them at 0, dont want them at 50 then trying to get them to 0, im trying to get some corals in, maybe in 6 weeks, so trying to fix everything up.

Back