Sand sifting starfish leg loss

new_world_disor

Had my star about 18 months. Always been happy. This morn its just come up nd moved to re bury its self and 2 legs have gone... Nothing on the tank woukd usually eat a star.... Any ideas?

970c05fa4fb15feaf5285492a838e37d.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Inadequate nutrition. They do not live long in aquaria, snd what is worse, they deplete beneficial organisms in your sand bed.

Inadequate nutrition. They do not live long in aquaria, snd what is worse, they deplete beneficial organisms in your sand bed.

X2 to what Steve said. It is starving to death

What they said. IMHO, one of the creatures of the sea that is doomed to a slow death in 99.9% of home aquariums and really should not be sold. I would remove what is left before it decays any further and ends up polluting your tank.

Like everyone said starving. They shouldn't be put in aquariums under 500g without deep and very mature sandbeds, but most who have that available don't want the starfish eating everything that has taken years accumulate

I don't even think these sand sifters eat detritus do they? Aren't they predators?

Ahh feel bad having had it now. He's dont a very good job of turning the sand till now. The poor chap is dead. Picked it up nd it literally fell apart. Will stick with sand sifting snails from now on.

Bad times!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back