Sand stirring

Johnic

Premium Member
Just setup a new tank or reboot and have new sand and the question or advice I used to get, I need to stir the sand around to get rid of detris, is this ok and is it ok to relocate the sand that gathers from the recirculation pumps pulling and pushing the sand around. I want to take it back and even it all out once I’m a while.

I have about 1" of sand on the bottom of my tank. Once a month I vacuum about 1/4 of the sand to remove detritus - vacuuming a different section of sand from month to month. Personally, I would not disturb the entire sand bed at any one time. Now, this opinion comes from many moons ago when deep sand beds and plenum systems were very popular for the removal of nitrates. Back then I had a plenum system in a 200 and it was highly recommended against to disturb more that 1/4 of the sand bed at any one time. So, maybe it's just old habits die hard with me ;)

That said, there should be no issue with moving displaced sand back into place.

I have about 1" of sand on the bottom of my tank. Once a month I vacuum about 1/4 of the sand to remove detritus - vacuuming a different section of sand from month to month. Personally, I would not disturb the entire sand bed at any one time. Now, this opinion comes from many moons ago when deep sand beds and plenum systems were very popular for the removal of nitrates. Back then I had a plenum system in a 200 and it was highly recommended against to disturb more that 1/4 of the sand bed at any one time. So, maybe it's just old habits die hard with me ;)

You can also have conchs, nasarrius, ceriths, starfish, gobies, goatfish that will move and clean your sand for you.
Awesome. Thanks for advice. Wasn’t sure if disturbing the sand would cause an issue

I am trying to search this forum for a decent

I'm looking for advice on a good sand vacuum for detritus

Back