sand!

you dont really need that much live sand. i would get dry sand (what ever size and color you like) and then find a local reefer with an established tank and get a cup or two from them to seed your sand. if you cant find anyone then just buy the smallest bag of live sand

I wonder if the "20lb" weight includes the water its packed with. If it does then its definitely a ripoff (moreso..)

Sand Bed

Sand Bed

Are you going for a deep sand bed to provide bacteria for ammonia to nitrate to nitrate to nitrogen conversion? 4-5 inches of sugar sized 0.5 to 2 mm works well.
Some silica sand will scratch and hurt worms, burrowers, gobys and such.
Also the right sand can help buffer your pH
Good luck!

Len

thanks for the responses, i think im going to go with the Special Grade Reef Sand, ($25+16shipping for 40 pounds) and get a bag of live sand or some from my LFS. I dont plan on having a DSB, so would 80 (or 100 if i have to buy a bag of the arag-alive) pounds be enough

Thanks again

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12589803#post12589803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CraigSlice
thanks for the responses, i think im going to go with the Special Grade Reef Sand, ($25+16shipping for 40 pounds) and get a bag of live sand or some from my LFS. I dont plan on having a DSB, so would 80 (or 100 if i have to buy a bag of the arag-alive) pounds be enough

Thanks again

there is a calculator on the side bar of the home page ;)

I went with the Fiji Pink, than got Sea Floor (but it was as fine as the Fiji Pink I had bought.) Looked good too.

Back