Say it ain't so!!! [Tanked has been cancelled]

Although I do enjoy the show and they make some great tanks, they don't have much of an idea when it comes to the animals. They typically overstock the tanks, add too many fish too quickly, and never really cycle a tank to allow beneficial bacteria to grow. This has led to fish dying very very fast in their tanks.

I'm not that familiar with the show but why do you say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way they design tanks (with LEDs, speakers, etc inside the tank), overstock the tanks with fish without even cycling is animal abuse. They designed tank as drums and skate board ramps... Not just looking like that, actually working like that, I dont think neither were pleasant experiences for the fish inside. One guy who was on the show said 90% of the fish they put into the tank died in a month or so.

https://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Low-survival-rate-for-Tanked-fish-5487950.php

They built nice looking tanks but its not realistic to the actual hobby... dumping 60 fish in a 600 gallon tank. I read they put 10x more fish in the tank to make it look good for t.v then they took all the fish out afterwords.

They dont explain n the diatom algae phaze and make it seem to the regular joe he can get a tank natures oceon sand and water and dump fish in.

At least in the later seasons they actually started talking about qurantining fish and they got into live corals and stuff.

Some of their tanks were horrible looking.. Like the one they built where it was half fresh water half for a giant pair of snakes.. the fresh water part looked horrible. I wasnt a fan of their fake plants they did.

The only i actually really liked was their discus tabk with all the live plants

They did seem to get a little less gimmicky toward the end. Less skate-ramp, jukebox, phonebooth, gumball machine tanks....

I really liked some of the tanks they made. The Jackass tank was great.

They produced MANY tanks that would be impossible to clean. It would be interesting to see how many of the tanks are still up and running... I did hear that they WOULD remove all the fish after the "œreveal tv coverage" so at least they weren't subjecting hundreds of fish to death in an un-cycled tank.

Not going to mis this show at all.

Do you guys remember the show that was on Nat Geo called Fish Tank Kings? It focused more on husbandry but the cast had no personality. It was cancelled after a season or two. There isn't even a listing on Wikipedia for it. Apparently it's still on in other countries but not the US:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/tv/fish-tank-kings/episodes.aspx

The reason I bring it up is because it in order for a show to be successful, it needs to have a balance between education and entertainment. A show geared more towards one audience (such as us, aka fish tank enthusiasts) won't last long.

I find it amazing that Tanked lasted as long as it did, and it sounds like had it not been for the altercation, it would still be on.

Not going to miss this show at all.

I admit I watched a few episodes, but it was too scripted to watch like most reality shows. Every episode they made it appear something "drastic" happened, but because they are such super-heroes they were able to "save the day" at the end.

I did not like how they used "plastic" corals and thought most of their tanks were tacky and absurdly over-priced. As a reef enthusiast, there was nothing for me to learn from the show as others have said they would over-stock their tanks, not allow the tanks to cycle, no fish acclimation, not get into reef chemistry, etc. I too wondered how some of those tanks would be maintained since a few were literally built-into walls.

They were too focused on the "cool" effect with things made out of plastic, instead of what I think the natural beauty of having everything alive in the tank (even at times algae is not too sightly).

Hated "Tanked"

Hated "Tanked"

I had an aquarium maintenance business for more than 20 years. I absolutely HATED "Tanked", the same way real doctors hate medical shows.

I knew damn well those fish would not survive.

And frankly, I HATED those stupid gimmick aquariums. An aquarium is an animal habitat, NOT a decoration.

And I hated all the fish they threw in willy-nilly, simply for dramatic effect. Using Moorish Idols in a customer tank is animal abuse. You can disagree, but please don't argue with me until you have 50 years of fish keeping under your belt.

Anyone have someone give them advise because they watched a few episodes of the show?
I have. Usually the same people who look at my reef tank packed to the brim with corals, starfish, anemones, yellow tangs, clowns, etc....and STILL ask "Is that fresh water or salt". So badly, I want to look at them and say..."Sorry, but you are a stupid human being. I like you, but you are stupid. Please get out of my house."
But then I'd have no friends, so I just answer the question that makes me smile inside.... "It's fresh water. I got all this out of lake Michigan".

I began using African cichlids years ago to keep customers from requesting marine tanks. I can't tell you how many times people insisted the electric blues, yellow labs, and Sunshine peacocks were salt water fish. Even after i corrected them they would not believe me, so, I just began saying, "Yeah - those are salt water fish."

The reason I bring it up is because it in order for a show to be successful, it needs to have a balance between education and entertainment. A show geared more towards one audience (such as us, aka fish tank enthusiasts) won't last long.

All true, unfortunately. I've observed that the louder and stupider the people on those show are, the more successful they are. How depressing!

Those clowns have messed up so many installations.
That resulted in some complete disasters that shouldn't have happened.
Good riddance.

Those clowns have messed up so many installations.
That resulted in some complete disasters that shouldn't have happened.
Good riddance.

Well, it's just the show that's gone. Apparently, the shop is still in business. I have a feeling that they'll continue to make the same type of tanks that we saw on the show. :D

I had an aquarium maintenance business for more than 20 years. I absolutely HATED "Tanked", the same way real doctors hate medical shows.

I knew damn well those fish would not survive.

And frankly, I HATED those stupid gimmick aquariums. An aquarium is an animal habitat, NOT a decoration.

And I hated all the fish they threw in willy-nilly, simply for dramatic effect. Using Moorish Idols in a customer tank is animal abuse. You can disagree, but please don't argue with me until you have 50 years of fish keeping under your belt.

Precisely!

A tank needs to be designed around the needs of the animals you intend to keep. The animals are not the final touch but the actual centerpiece.
And you need to make sure that they will get along with each other and not eat each other or fight or harass each other to death.

Well, it's just the show that's gone. Apparently, the shop is still in business. I have a feeling that they'll continue to make the same type of tanks that we saw on the show. :D

That's what I'm afraid of...

Back