Scammed? =/ Protein Skimmer

Njdevilsfan, the skimmer is for a 65 gallon tank though. Isn't it still underated, not just because its out of fashion, but because I have a 90 gallon tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15359845#post15359845 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Samcorp
Dangit! Well.. I paid only $50 for it..

Don't even sweat about it. For $50 if it doesn't work, you can just toss it. Some people in the high-end (SPS) part of the hobby spend $100 for supplements alone. I'm dead serious. You actually got a great deal on equipment for $180, so don't feel bad. :)

good luck on the hobby!

I think the 65 is rated for 150? Maybe that's what he meant? I have one on a 20 gal i use for qt etc.. I wouldn't use it on anything larger then 30 gal or so. You could easily resell it for what you put in it or keep it as a backup or qt.

Pacific Coast also has skimmers that look exactly the same as the coralife units. Coralife simply re-branded an existing skimmer and sold as is. There are many different sizes available. It's possible thats what you got instead.

Either way, $50, not a bad deal, lots of people have had success with them.

My advice to you is to start doing more research before making purchases. None of your buys from this person was necessarily a bad purchase, consider it a learning experience, but the key to this hobby is .... everyone now ....

PATIENCE
learn all you can before taking action, whether it is a purchase of equipment or livestock, or choosing a method ot maintenance, etc.

i have the 65 gallon version on my 55 with no problems aside from the minimal overflow due to my lack of emptying the skimmate and im running it HOB for the moment actually yesterday it was leaking enough to trip my CFGI

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15360956#post15360956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mg426
Coralife skimmers are CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, Prism skimmers are crap. My superskimmer actually works pretty well. It's not the best but it's certainly not crap. I may even post a pic of the skimmate it has recently pulled out of my reef to prove my point.

I would definetly use it. It will be better than no skimmer, IMO. And after you use it you will know what you like and don't like and be able to choose your next skimmer based on that.

This was pulled out back when I used a CSS220, so wouldn't call them crap by any means.
Are there much better skimmers out there, of course.
But for the money, they aren't bad at all.

Bestoftank121.jpg

LOL, and it was completely on accident that I just happened to grab that empty jug outa trash for skim resivour!

Haha. I ran my (reef) tank without a skimmer for about 6-7 months. I took a lot of work, but everything survived.
Finally I bought the Coralife 125 for my 55g. I works great as far as I'm concerned. As long as you keep it tuned right.

1. Always keep the water at the same level. When you add extra water to the sump, the water level in the skimmer will also rise, possibly causing an overflow.
2. occasionally blow out the liitle contraption that lets air in the tube, salt will build up there and won't allow air bubbles in.
3. Empty the cup once a week.

That's all I do and it works great. I get about a 1/2" of disgusting, stinky, gross scum every week, so I'm happy with that :)

Also, I found that hang-on sump works the best with this skimmer. Mine hasn't overflowed either.....jinx

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15367446#post15367446 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goldmaniac
My advice to you is to start doing more research before making purchases. None of your buys from this person was necessarily a bad purchase, consider it a learning experience, but the key to this hobby is .... everyone now ....

PATIENCE
learn all you can before taking action, whether it is a purchase of equipment or livestock, or choosing a method ot maintenance, etc.

Well, with all honesty, I did research it before I bought it. I knew there were some issues, and to prove this, you could look at the thread I made BEFORE I PURCHASED IT. People told me the risk of the coralife skimmer is the dialing, yet it could be successfully done.

However, I do believe this guy scammed me because he sold me the "65 gallon rated one" although he said his was made for a 150 gallon tank. I did not know offhand that it was made for a 65 gallon tank, as they all look the same. He told me that the model was 1 year old so I stupidly assumed that there was the possibility of a "150 gallon" model. Either way, the skimmer will have to due for now... I have no other choice but to use it as I have to buy lighting soon.

Thanks,

Sam:(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15370544#post15370544 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sk8rreefgeek
Haha. I ran my (reef) tank without a skimmer for about 6-7 months. I took a lot of work, but everything survived.
Finally I bought the Coralife 125 for my 55g. I works great as far as I'm concerned. As long as you keep it tuned right.

1. Always keep the water at the same level. When you add extra water to the sump, the water level in the skimmer will also rise, possibly causing an overflow.
2. occasionally blow out the liitle contraption that lets air in the tube, salt will build up there and won't allow air bubbles in.

That's all I do and it works great. I get about a 1/2" of disgusting, stinky, gross scum every week, so I'm happy with that :)

Also, I found that hang-on sump works the best with this skimmer. Mine hasn't overflowed either.....jinx

Regarding water level, my sump for my 90 gallon tank is a 14 gallon acrylic which is 14 inches high. With that being said, the person who sold me it told me that the height of the sump cannot EXCEED the height of the body of the skimmer, which is about 10 inches. Is this, A. True? And if so, could I therefore not use it in my sump? Is there a way to make it raise higher ? The reason why I'd prefer it in my sump is simply because of overflow. I have read that many people, even the seller, has had trouble with overflow in the sump at some times. And my tank is on carpet.. making it all the more complicated.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15370544#post15370544 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sk8rreefgeek

Another question: Regarding the collection cup, are you supposed to take it off of the body of the skimmer?

I had the CSS 65 and it worked great. I upgraded to the 125 and it was CRAP. It wouldn't go past it's break in period. I brought it back to Foster and Smith and just invested in a Reef Octo... Very pleased with the RO thus far. Everyone says it... Don't skimp on the vital equipment (Lighting and Skimmers). It will only cost you more in the long run.

Your okay

Your okay

I had the same skimmer on my 90 gallon. It isn't the best but works okay. Like others said keeping it dialed is the hardest part. You should be fine for a while.

As for the sump, the water level the skimmer sits in should be between 8 - 10 inches. If your sump is 14 inches high I wouldn't keep the water level much higher than that anyway. You want to leave room for overflow if the power goes out.

Back