schooling question

Jim_Leyland

In Memoriam
what would be a good type of fish for a small school? you guys have told me bad things about chromis...and was wondering what else will stay fairly small and swim around together
Thanks ~ Jim

I've heard cardinals are decent schooling fish, or, if you have the money, Anthias should be decent schooling fish, but you gotta pay for those usually ;)

In the wild cardinals will school, but I would not expect that type of behavior in a tank that size. Mutlipe females may stick together or at least leave each other alone, but larger older females may be aggressvie towards each other. Males will most likely fight till someone dies. My juvi's school together until about 5 months old, then they have a tendency to go solo.

fwiw, it's going to be somewhat difficult to recreat what you are looking for with only a 150g tank. Most schooling species require sufficient room or they'll loose that behavoir, even with chromis.

I've heard you can keep smaller aggregates of blue assessors, mostly females from my understanding, or even a few yellow wrasses.

Most schooling species require sufficient room or they'll loose that behavoir, even with chromis.

agreed. That and there often has to be something to actually MAKE them school. For example if they're the only things in the tank, then in their eyes they own the thing and will not bother to stick together. But if you put some other bigger, badder fish in there, they may stick closer together.

firefish tend to school pretty closely together. I have a school of 8 and a school of 16 green chromis.

I like the idea of anthias too. a little to pricey for an effective school in a 150.

Back