Schooling Yellow Tail Damel or Chromis

reefmutts

Premium Member
I noticed when I go scuba diving that many of the same fish surround a piece of coral or hang out in the vicinity. I'm looking to recreate this a bit. Looking at Chromis which are schooling fish or the tamer Yellow Tail damsels. Have not found much on having 3-5 damesl in the same tank anyone have information or a picture of there tank with 3-5 damels? Which would be better and are the damsels ok in a group of 3-5.

If you're looking for a school, damsels won't provide that. Schooling behavior is normally a defensive mechanism and is not often displayed in aquaria.

You would be better suited to try cardinal fish if you want a school.

They are schooling for protection (in #s). When not threatened (by larger predators), they turn on each other, all kinds of Damsels (for territory).
In the wild, it's usually the juveniles that will school around a cave or coral, and when mature, they seek their own territory.
Chromis will stay in schools in larger tanks, but are still bastards to each other.

So what I'm getting is stick to individual fish in a aquarium rather than getting 3-5 of the same fish. I want my tank to be pretty peaceful. Fish should be lovers not fighters!

Back