Scraping coraline off the tank

vpotts28

Hello, I let my tank get overrun with coraline algae on the front, sides, I obviously don't mind it on the back of the tank. However, this seems to be the most physical thing I have ever tried to do. I am using a Kent proscraper but that doesn't seem to get me very far. Is there any other tool, or any tricks you veterans can lend me so I can get my tank back looking like I care about it?

Thanks in advance.

I use a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe that I cut an angle slot in the end to accept a razor blade. This gives me good leverage and I don't have to put my arm in the tank...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14177947#post14177947 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kurquhart1
wont it just keep coming back?
Yes but you cannot just let your glass stay dirty just because it will get dirty again, especially the front pane!

purple caroline is growing like bad all over my glass & powerheads last few weeks.

Every day I notice new purple dots and I try and scrape them off at least once a week or two with a razor blade.

you can get plastic razor blades that are used for taking off pin stripes off cars without scraping the paint. i dont have the link for the razors but i bet if you do a yahoo search, it would show up quick.

I use a razor blade. I hate the corraline now, because it grows so fast, and I don't like spending all the time to take it off the glass.

IF your Tank is a glass tank you can get the stainless steel blades for the your Kent Proscraper.That what I use works good for me.

I use a hard plastic scrapper designed for taking ice off of a windshield. I always worry about scratches with a metal blade but with the plastic i can give it some wellie and not worry.

I'll try these tricks, I guess the reason I wasn't using a razon blade is because usually they have a coating of lubricant to prevent them from rusting in the packaging. I will try it out.

I've got the opposite problem. I'd love to pay someone to send me a big pile of their coralline algae scrapings. I am trying to get it started in my tank, to no avail!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190234#post14190234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SubtleGuest
I've got the opposite problem. I'd love to pay someone to send me a big pile of their coralline algae scrapings. I am trying to get it started in my tank, to no avail!

What are your water parameters?

for the ones using razor blades, becareful when you get to the corners of the tank and try not to cut the silicone beads

Back