screen top

JStorey

I need to build a screen type cover for my acrylic tank to keep jumpers in. My thought was to build a screen frame out of non metal material but my question is what type of screen or netting should I use? I know it needs to be non metal such as fiberglass or would it be better to use some type of netting. My concern is to use something that won't limit light penetration. What is everyone else using?

Great Question! I was wondering the same thing myself for a rimless tank. Eggcrate is very useful for this purpose though I personally dont like the look. I mean its efficent, though it lacks in showcase quality. I have entertained the idea of some sort of netting as well with an arylic frame around the top but have no good ideas as of yet. Hopefully someone will shed some good ideas on this topic. Mine would be for wrasses in a 60 rimless cube? So far it would be eggcrate, netting "anyone know anywhere to buy?", total acrylic cover "defeats the purpose", and ?

screen top

I have wrasses too and eggcrate will not work. I have an acrylic tank with 3 openings and with the lids on too much condensation and heat build up so I need to go a different route. My plan is to build screen frames like for a window out of plastic framing with tabs glued on so they don't fall through the opening. My only question is whether to use fiberglass screen or netting. I don't want to limit my light.

Go to HD and buy a window screen kit the aluminum kind, I bought the black one. There are several different sizes to choose from, I bought the 36" one since my tank is 24x24. I cut the side pieces to the dimensions that I wanted. After picking up the window screen kit, go to the garden center and next to the weed mat they have a product called Bird Block, it's a nylon mesh w/ like 1/2" grids. Use this in the window screen. Won't block any light, light weight, and won't rust. Most window screen material is fiberglass or some kind of metal, plus it blocks a lot of light. I haven't had any fish lost yet (crossing fingers)

The aluminum frames are safe to use around saltwater? They won't rust? Should they be treated with something to protect them?

I don't think I've ever seen aluminum rust before! The one I bought actually was painted black so it was already protected, but if you want to make extra sure that nothing will be a problem, after you get the frame cut to size and put together, spray it w/ some krylon fusion! I don't think there will be a problem though, I haven't seen any rust on mine in the 3 months I've used it, I also have a DIY light hood made from aluminum that sits on the tank w/ aluminum legs that shows no signs of rust on exposed metal. Most of it's sprayed with Krylon, but there's plenty of exposed places that if it were going to rust, it would have already.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11620765#post11620765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dzeadow
Go to HD and buy a window screen kit the aluminum kind, I bought the black one. There are several different sizes to choose from, I bought the 36" one since my tank is 24x24. I cut the side pieces to the dimensions that I wanted. After picking up the window screen kit, go to the garden center and next to the weed mat they have a product called Bird Block, it's a nylon mesh w/ like 1/2" grids. Use this in the window screen. Won't block any light, light weight, and won't rust. Most window screen material is fiberglass or some kind of metal, plus it blocks a lot of light. I haven't had any fish lost yet (crossing fingers)

This is it in a nutshell. You can apply two layers of netting, slightly offsetting them to decrease the size of the opening. It's UV resistant, feather light, stands up to salt spray and MH heat perfectly, and obstructs no lighting. One roll should cover the average living room, but it's cheap. Regular window screening severely impedes lighting.

The clear fiberglas mesh that Jimflies used was tough to find and I gave up. I think he's been selling his excess, though don't know if he still is.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11621507#post11621507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by el Deutche
Aluminum can't rust.

As someone who maintained B52s back in the day, I have to disagree, but it may be a question of what you mean by "RUST". Aluminum does not produce a red "rust" color (Iron Oxide) when it corrodes, it produces a white power/crystal (Aluminum Oxide). The good thing about aluminum oxide is that it normally stays attached to the metal surface and actually helps prevent more corrosion. I don't know if it is harmful if it gets in the water, but I've never heard of anyone claiming its safe. If you use the aluminum frame (never seen a plastic one) I would get one that is powder paint coated, and then I'd paint a second layer just to be sure.

Hoss

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11662698#post11662698 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by denverhoss
As someone who maintained B52s back in the day, I have to disagree, but it may be a question of what you mean by "RUST". Aluminum does not produce a red "rust" color (Iron Oxide) when it corrodes, it produces a white power/crystal (Aluminum Oxide). The good thing about aluminum oxide is that it normally stays attached to the metal surface and actually helps prevent more corrosion. I don't know if it is harmful if it gets in the water, but I've never heard of anyone claiming its safe. If you use the aluminum frame (never seen a plastic one) I would get one that is powder paint coated, and then I'd paint a second layer just to be sure.

Hoss

All good points. The frame material is painted, but certainly not powder coated. The frames should be sized to rest on top of the tank frame, rather than inside it, to minimize contact with spray, etc.

Its ashame somebody does not have the talent or time to produce a thin netting with acrylic attachment cover, they could make some money. Imagine 100$ a pop for a 2ftX2ft screen that required 1" of acrylic, glue, and some 1/3 hole clear netting.

Back