Seahorse tank

ladyfsu

We have a seahorse tank at school, but because they need more TLC than other things there, I brought them home. It took about 3 hours to move it all and put in this new tank, but here they are. Tank will go back in August. Landscaping leaves a lot to be desired, and it's VERY crowded, but it's only for 2 months. There are 4 small orange ones, 3 big ones, and 5 pipefish from Ft. Desoto. In the little cage on top is the tiny seahorse from Ft. Desoto. Also, little killifish, pinfish, and slipperydick. 2 starfish and several local sponges and corals.

FTS
fts5.jpg

3 orange with pipe
3orangepiperock.jpg

feeding time - they come to my hand to see if I have food
foodhand.jpg

This is midnight. He had babies in Feb. and we still have 5 left. 2 students are taking care of them this summer. He's my favorite and I'll have a hard time letting him go back to school.
midnightinhand.jpg

More pics in a second...

Last edited:
First setting up tank, these guys liked the starfish.
DSC03693.jpg

Pipes
pipes.jpg

One of the crazy sandfleas that shoot out of the sand from time to time.
sandflea.jpg

2 oranges
2orangepose.jpg

We're hoping 1 of the orange ones is a male. So far 1 MIGHT be, but mostly they look female. I am starting to really love these guys.

Laine,
That is a beautiful tank! The seahorses of course....now I definitely want to come to YOUR house! Seahorses are like my FAVORITE! Maybe if I ever can set up a smaller tank....LOL...but with puppies and kids I hardly have anytime as it is! KR

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12858307#post12858307 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kiransreef
Laine,
That is a beautiful tank! The seahorses of course....now I definitely want to come to YOUR house! Seahorses are like my FAVORITE! Maybe if I ever can set up a smaller tank....LOL...but with puppies and kids I hardly have anytime as it is! KR

Thank you :) I'm new to this but quickly falling in love with them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12859009#post12859009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AJ69
That's an amazing tank mind if I ask you where you get the ponies.

Thank you. Aquatic Visions in New Port Richey. I think the orange ones were $20-ish each and less for the others. They get them daily (sometimes yellows), and usually ship them out daily. I know a couple months ago they were shipping dozens out a day to places.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12859035#post12859035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by colaman555
From the looks of it I would say the lighter orange one is a male

Russ

That's which one we think is male. My children named him Hooky. I know that h.erectus come in a variety of colors, and any one can have any color...but you would THINK that 2 oranges would have a better shot of having more oranges, wouldn't you?

i have been debating setting one of these tanks up for years just never researched it...what do u use for filtration lighting and flow?
also isnt it illegal to collect sea horses from the wild?

I just use a HOB on this tank and a 900 maxi - this is a 35 hex. Light doesn't affect them, and they don't want too much flow.

Legal? I think you can collect at certain times but these were bought from a licensed place. I'll look into it though.

Sue...chime in plz. I'm new.

I think you can treat it as a FOWLR tank. My biggest problem is that I'm going to the pet store a lot to buy live food! A couple seem to be eating frozen finally. Mine were wild caught which isn't best, and so they only know to eat live.

Hmmm thats pretty neat. I was swimming around in the surf the other day and I found one clinging onto a little piece of seaweed. It was pretty neat, he was only 2 inches tall at max, but I let him go. Are they compatible with other fish? Dont they require multiple feedings per day?

Laine,
Why don't you hatch your own brine....I have heard it isn't that hard. What other options other than going daily to LFS? KR

on_ice and Laine, I could talk forever about horses and all that I have learned about captive bred and wild. I would much prefer to talk one on one than on rc. Too much typing. Anyone that wants to talk horses just pm me (not that I am an expert) and we can talk sometime. Laine, you know quite a bit already:)

Back