Seahorse?

FREEZY POP

For the most part I have been told that seahorses have a poor survival rate in reef tanks. Are there species that would do well in one and if so what fish would they be compatible with? Can they damage coral? Thanks!

from what ive read they need very low flow and are slow eaters. so any fish with them would most likely eat the food before the seahorses. i would check in the seahorse forum for a lot more information

I have been doing research myself on seahorses and found that most people either put them in a refugium or have a separate tank for them with low equal flow from both sides creating a neutral middle area for them to rest in and plenty of twig like structures to wrap there tails around, for me I think the refugium idea works but I think i'd have to have a prefilter and skimmer before the water enters the refugium, would anyone like to add to to this? I'm open to suggestions.

The only problem with keeping them in a refugium, OR reef tank, is that most sea horses come from cooler water and don't do well in the warmth of our reef tanks.

the problem with horse and reefs is that reefs require high flow rates, and horses require slow flow rates to capture and eat.....
otherwise...they make a perfect couple

Seahorses, amphibians, jelly fish, reptiles... All these animals are challenging and require the construction of a species specific habitat to keep.

To any others who are considering it: regardless of the temps seahorses may be found in naturally, hobbyists have found that greater success is had when seahorses are kept 74 degrees or below when in a tank. Tests have shown that a common bacteria of seahorses is able to multiple and mutate at a much faster rate at temps above 74 degrees.
Seahorses are also not the strongest of swimmers (although there is a temperate species that is a stronger swimmer, it needs to be kept 64 degrees or below and therefore is not native to a reef habitat) and need to be kept from corals with a strong sting and those inverts that consume fish. There are numerous fish that will eat, bite, or pick at a seahorse (including lawnmower blennies), and most fish will out compete a seahorse for food. Seahorses need to eat a lot and frequently due to their inefficent alimentary tract. Thus, they create a lot of waste. Fleet fish can "spook" a seahorse, causing stress and even causing the seahorse to go off its food.
In general, seahorses and reef tanks are not a good match.

Back